LordX

Total Noob - Looking for a Home System - Need some help!

Hey all - I am just getting into the market for a home surveillance system.

I have only been browsing on Newegg.com (since I buy a lot of my computer items there).

I really have no idea about what is good or not in a bundled system. I know that the higher the TV lines, the better - so 700 is better than 600.

I have been mainly looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881635038

It has 4 outdoor cams, and 4 indoor - which would work perfectly for me.

It comes bundled with a 1TB hdd - however, in my experience bundled HDD's are junk - so I am nervous about it. Would I be better off getting a non HDD system and adding a WD Black or Purple hard drive?

If so, I saw: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881523084 - which has 700Tvl compared to 600, and 960H (is that good)? Then I can add my own HDD.

I want 4 cams outside - so is one of these two better than another?

OR

Can someone recommend an all in one system that fits what I am looking for and is quality?

I really appreciate any tips!

Forget about those crappy analog systems...start researching HD (720 or 1080p) IP Camera systems....the difference will be night and day..You will pay more, but the quality of the image is MUCH better...youtube it...it is also easier to install because most ip cameras support POE - the cameras are powered by the same ethernet cable that transmits data.

Any brand name recommendations for me to begin my search with?

Also - I need 4 cameras outside. The Defender system showed a picture of the cameras being outside - then had a disclaimer saying that they really don't work if exposed to direct rainfall... REALLY misleading.

Any brand name recommendations for me to begin my search with?

Also - I need 4 cameras outside. The Defender system showed a picture of the cameras being outside - then had a disclaimer saying that they really don't work if exposed to direct rainfall... REALLY misleading.

Look at the ip/megapixel section of this forum...hikvision and dahua are good brands...

The swann systems at costco are rebranded hikvision..the qsee and lorex systems are dahua...

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&refine=&keyword=ip+camera

Welcome LordX,

If you had bought either of the systems you had been looking at, you will have wanted to replace it as soon as you either realized how poor it was, or as soon as it began to fail. The Zmodo system you linked to had very poor mounting brackets for the cameras. Those type of brackets are flimsy and if you are not careful and gentle with them your camera might end up only facing straight down to the Earth or straight up into the sky (The first system I bought had those brackets.) Also the wires for those style brackets will be exposed, looking messy, and easy to cut. I've had three systems since 2008, each one was a learning experience. If I had done my research I would be going to my second system now, not my forth, and I would have saved a lot of $.

I suggest time and patience in finding the right system, at the right price. The URL that Boogieman suggested has two systems that I think would be excellent for your desires. This one : http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100153162.html, and the Q-See one for the same price. Cost Co. let's you take back what you don't like, but buying from someplace else is fine too. Newegg likely will have Lorax, Q-See and Swann systems too, if you're more comfortable with them.

Seeing as you've already learned that a WD Purple hard drive is what belongs in a DVR/NVR, you're on the right track. Look, read and ask in the forum and you'll learn what you will be happiest with when you buy.

I want to mount the out door cameras on the side of my garage. So they wont be going into a ceiling. Would the mounts of the Lorax bullet cameras work for that?

Also- they say weather PROOF.... so I can leave them outside uncovered? I live in Syracuse NY, and we get lots of snow and cold in the winters.

I want to mount the out door cameras on the side of my garage. So they wont be going into a ceiling. Would the mounts of the Lorax bullet cameras work for that?

The nice thing about bullet style cameras is that they can be installed in almost any location. wall, ceilings. some Domes can be installed both wall or ceiling, but not all, some are only wall, and some only ceiling (so make sure). Out side domes are best mounted ceiling (under mount) so the dome doesn't get water marks over the camera lens (as much).

Also- they say weather PROOF.... so I can leave them outside uncovered? I live in Syracuse NY, and we get lots of snow and cold in the winters.

These units say they can operate at -4F (-20C) and 140F (60C), so they should be fine.

These are IP66 rated, in other words rain water should not harm the units. These bullets are sealed units, so no worries. The domes are not sealed units. The dome comes off the positioning the cameras. If the dome is not installed properly the camera may leak. Don't let this worry you, just make sure you put the dome on properly. Either way, don't go swimming with them . Don't power wash them, and don't hose them down.

Hello again - they have a pretty sweet deal on Costo.com for the 720p lorex system.

Would I be doing myself a huge disservice by going 720p as compared to 1080p?

The one I was looking at was: http://www.costco.com/.product.100121251.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP

Or even this one - $100 different, but with 12 cams!

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-HD-720p-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-12-720p-Cameras.product.100157889.html

The 1080p system with only 4 cameras went on sale (from $799 to $699) - so I bought that.

I possibly could have used 6 cams - but I guess I can add-on in the future.

Thanks for all the above suggestions - I figured if I am going to do it, do it right - and 1080p is pretty awesome for home cams!

Im far more new at this than anybody here, but I am learning a lot by reading the posts.

All I want is a weather cam sort of like this one,

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMABOURN13

But I dont need it up on the weather station. Just to have it on my own website, so that I can view it on my iPhone or anybody in the family can see it on this Mac or their computers too.

I love the time lapse they have on these too.