Sign in to follow this  
Thomasw79

Cat5 Questions

Hi Everyone!

Got some questions regarding an installation with Cat5 cable.

Here is my situation. We recently got a Q-SEE Surveillance Camera System for our house as someone started to mess with our vehicles. My wife is a law enforcement officer, and there is a marked sheriff vehicle in the driveway. The system we got is a QC824-4C9-2, a 4 IP camera system that has POE. The NVR and cameras are ready for Cat5 (RJ45 plugs connections), with 4 reels of 100ft Cat5 in the box. My profession is a firefighter/paramedic, but I did home construction and my dad was a master electrician (he unfortunately passed away a few years ago so can't ask him). I have enough skill to handle the installation, make drops, cut receptacles, patch drywall, etc. I just want to get the right cables in the first time as I only want to be in the hot Florida attic once.

The Q-SEE website says the Cat5 cable provided is unshielded and not recommended for drops in the wall. We dropped Cat5 in numerous houses inside the walls. I dropped it in my house when I point it for internet and gaming. Has something changed?

When I put in the Cat5 cable for the modem, routers, etc, I avoided the 120v power lines although I know data isn't effected as much as say video. A couple of the chase ways where the Cat5 for the camera will be going have 120 lines running through them. Should I be concerned with signal degradation or just run shielded Cat5 through those chase ways?

Lastly, this is my first POE. Is there an issue terminating the Cat5 drop at a quad RJ45 plate in the wall? I would like to plug 4 Cat5 lines into the plate to run to the NVR?

Thanks....Thomas

If you are installing cable in a plenum, plenum rated cable CMP/FT6 is recommended.

Otherwise CMR/FT4 is fine for most applications.

Look for the cable ratings/approvals. They are usually stamped/marked on the outer jacket of the cabling.