CraigVM62

Are these DVR Symtoms Software or Hardware related

In multiplex mode, my DVR is tarting to "Glitch" for lack of a better word. Images of each channel will flicker now and then, and for a brief second the image of another channel will appear in it's place. I have reinstalled the software which has cured other minor problems in the past. That isn't helping at all this time. Symptoms are worse when one or two of the channels are trying to record. They are set to record via video motion. System is a 32 channel DVR built with dual I-View 16 ch cards. I am down to a few weeks before it's 1 year warranty expires. The "I-View Dealer" I purchased from seems to have gone belly up and no longer post here. . Has anyone one else dealt directly with I-View before ??? After my dealer fell off the face of the earth, I had tried to contact them a few times with questions via email, but never received any reply. I will start calling I-View come Monday but wondering if the problems sounds like it is not doubt the cards themselves.

Yes, there is no problem with the video feed from the cameras as they were checked. I can't see how a a camera could possibly grab the video image from another camera, other than through the DVR Card or it's software.

When I have reloaded the I-View software, I have done so by going into windows control panel, and using the "Add or Remove Programs or Windows Components" option and remove the I-View Software. I then have reinstalled the software. The funny thing is that after having done so, it still has the camera settings, camera labels, ISP settings and such from before. I can only assume that since it is keeping that info, not all of the program is being removed. If the problem is software related, maybe that is also staying on the PC when I remove and reinstall the software.

The system has 2 x 200 gig hard drives. One is partitioned as Drive C where Windows XP is installed, it's other partition is Drive E and the second 200 gig drive is Drive F.

I am thinking of going in and formating each of the 3 drives and then reinstalling Windows XP, then reinstalling the DVR Software. If that doesn't work, I guess I am at the mercy of I-view Corp to honor warranty, or shopping for some DVR Cards.... oh joy !!!

Craig, windows add/install programmes is notoriously bad at removing, you have to manually remove bits yourself.

There's a decent programme that un-install's every thing, if you pm me i can zip it to you.

i have been in a similar position and i use a cheap 80gig hdd to do a fresh install of windows and load the system from scratch to make sure its not the hardware at fault.

Its very common on Multiplexed Systems when a Camera's Power is bad or the board is going.

I do not know about "I-VIEW" cards, but have seen you issue on GEO cards rarely and on some of the embedded systems we use.

10% of the time, we find the issue to be software related, a simple wipe of the HD to renew XP and OS of CARD seems to the fix.

90% of the time, when you have the "BLEED OVER", signals from different channels, whether PC based or embedded appear to morph onto one channel or the other, comes from one of three things:

1) Cabling

2) Power Supply (DVR or Camera wither individual power supply for camera or Can power supply)

3) Cameras themself

My techs only report the problem on very long runs, and through a process of elimination, they would pull one wire off the DVR at a time, until DVR was clear again. Then once the culprit wire was identify as the problem, they would conduct continuity tests on the line to determine breaks, ground issues, etc. 9 out 10 times, bare wire touching metal along the LONG run was feeding back to the DVR, once repaired fixed the issue.

As a side note, and we have done huge jobs with over 150+ cameras, I would never recommend to my clients to put 32 CAM DVR in the mix, too many eggs in one basket. If the DVR failed, then customer is out of luck. Break apart your DVR's and go with 16 cam DVR's.

I found out what the problem was which ended up being a rather simple "and cheap" fix. To give a little history, in the last few weeks when the system would reboot, upon boot up a message would appear. It would state that the slave drive "second hard drive" did not pass a test and suggested it be backed up and replaced. This message would appear before Windows would even load. The message would give the option to hit F1 to continue which the office workers would do. As mentioned, this DVR has (2) 200GB Hard drives. Now here is where I have to speculate what the problem was so let me know if it makes sense.... I have one channel that is looped through a CCTV monitor prior to getting to the DVR. Now when looking at the "live view" images on the DVR's PC Monitor, wether it be full screen or "multiplexed" view, the images are of lesser quality and delayed slightly. I am guessing these images are actually being viewed after then have been recorded on the hard drive.

The first hard drive which is partitioned showed to be completely full, and the second hard drive "the one causing the occasional error messages on boot up" was showing to be around 70% full. I am guessing the DVR was now having to utilize the sectors "if that is the right word" of that drive which was faulty. It would make sense that some of the heads of the hard drive might "jump track" and be grabbing tracks from other cameras for a split second. This would explain why images on one or several channels would flicker, showing an image of completely different channels / cameras.

I formated the partition of the first hard drive which records the video files and pulled the second "problem"drive out. With the DVR now only utilizing the good drive, all problems fixed. You can't imagine how happy I am knowing I just need to purchase a new hard drive and not a couple of 16 channel DVR Cards or tw0 16 channel Stand Alone DVRs.

Spyman, I don't know if I will ever do another project with this many cameras, but I would most definately take your advise. This system, which has only been plugged in for 9 months has already required a new Mother Board and 2 new power supplies. I have thought of buying a 16 channel DVR just to take over the 16 most important cameras when this DVR is down getting fixed. Hopefully that won't happen again for awhile.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone.

Sounds like a very good candidate for a Voltage Regulator/Line Conditioner.

Glad its soughted out for now though ..

Rory

Yes, that was what brought about my questions in the other thread about UPS / Conditioners .... The odd thing is that on this same 20 amp circuit, there are 2 alarm systems and an additional PC for the gate access. None of them have had any problems.

Rory, Let me know the next time you have a large Camera / DVR Install I would be happy to come down and be your free laborer in exchange to look over you shoulder and ask tons of dumb questions. I am also past due for a tan and some fishing time.