cover

Port Forwarding for Security Camera

I recently purchased a Foscam camera for a remote location that has a wireless router as the only thing on that particular network. In other words, there are no computers on that network and I had hoped to put a security camera on that network since it's a fairly remote location.

I've been able to get the security camera to be viewable on that network but my hope is to access the camera using the router's external IP with that given port for the camera tacked onto the end of the URL (i.e. http://174.169.19.321:8090)

I've been led to believe that if I can successfully 'port forward' the router, I can make that happen. So far, the camera guys blame the router manufacturer, and the router guys (Buffalo) blame the camera guys so with the finger pointing, I'm not too happy with either.

Is there a "how to" guide for doing something like this available? Is this 'port forward' basically all that's needed once I can view the camera on the internal network IP ?

Thanks for any pointers,

cov

Thanks for the reply guys.

I've tried the Port Forward and even bought their software utilities. So far, nada. I've also tried a couple of port open testing tools and in every case, all ports were closed. I've shut off my Windows 7 firewall and shut off the firewall within the Buffalo router as well.

One thing I haven't read about and an assumption I'd like to get some clarity on. If the internal IP for this router is 192.168.1.1 and the external IP for the router is 74.161.82.10 (just examples), and I can get the camera to work on 192.168.1.1:8090, shouldn't I be able to see the camera on the Internet at 74.161.82.10:8090 ??? It's really frustrating that I can get the camera working on the internal IP and local network but not get it viewable on the Internet. Since we have offices a few miles away, I need to get it onto the Internet to be useful.

Another thing I've seen quite a bit of is port forwarding for gaming with a list of games and recommended ports and one might think there would be something in terms of recommendations for security cameras but I haven't seen anything.

have you used a port check tool to see if the port is open:-

canyouseeme.org or similar.

I tried this on another machine where the firewalls were shut off and was surprised that all ports that I tried show closed. On this other machine, I didn't 'port forward' any ports but would have thought that with firewalls all shut off, ports might show open.

Another subject I've wondered about. I've identified the camera IP and port on the internal network and have wondered if that network with NEED a computer on it to hold the camera IP static ? I'd hoped to just have the camera on the network by itself but am not sure how doable that is.

before you can get connected from the world of the web you need to get the ports open that's step 1.

for an example of port forwarding see:-

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45425

Is it possible to have everything set up, ports forwarded okay, connection and port being verified as okay and open with Internet utilities available and then, somehow being blocked by your ISP upstream? I've wondered about that since I have a great picture on my local network, seemingly have ports open, forwarded, and available and yet - cannot access the camera on the Internet.

so you have used a check ports tool and it can see your port 8090 is open ? have you also opened the rtsp port for streaming video and port forwarded it, you should also have the login and password available for authentication to connect to your device you should get a webpage of some sort for access to settings and if using a viewing application you should get the video through- if not are you getting any error indications etc.

so you have used a check ports tool and it can see your port 8090 is open ? have you also opened the rtsp port for streaming video and port forwarded it, you should also have the login and password available for authentication to connect to your device you should get a webpage of some sort for access to settings and if using a viewing application you should get the video through- if not are you getting any error indications etc.

Thanks for the reply - I've used two separate port checkers. One within the utilities of Port Forward util and the second, canyouseeme.org. To be honest though, this is the first I've heard of a need to have an rtsp port open, I'll have to check that out.

I recently purchased a Foscam camera for a remote location that has a wireless router as the only thing on that particular network. In other words, there are no computers on that network and I had hoped to put a security camera on that network since it's a fairly remote location.

I've been able to get the security camera to be viewable on that network but my hope is to access the camera using the router's external IP with that given port for the camera tacked onto the end of the URL (i.e. http://174.169.19.321:8090)

I've been led to believe that if I can successfully 'port forward' the router, I can make that happen. So far, the camera guys blame the router manufacturer, and the router guys (Buffalo) blame the camera guys so with the finger pointing, I'm not too happy with either.

Is there a "how to" guide for doing something like this available? Is this 'port forward' basically all that's needed once I can view the camera on the internal network IP ?

Thanks for any pointers,

cov

you wont be able to view the cameras WITHIN the network using the public IP, you will get a conflict. you can only view it with the local camera IP within the network. common HTTP ports are 80, 8080, 8000 and 8001... once you port forward go to canyouseeme.org to verify the port IS open. if it is not open, then your ISP has blocked the port on their end (they like to do this to protect the network). the only other thing you need to worry about after the port forward is DDNS. if the public IP (174.169.19.321) is dynamic (residential public IPs are dynamic unless youve paid for a static) then you will need to go to dyndns (for a small fee) or noip.com (free but you have to log in once a month) to set up the DDNS. OR you can get a static IP address from the ISP (internet service provider)

Thanks for the reply - I've used two separate port checkers. One within the utilities of Port Forward util and the second, canyouseeme.org. To be honest though, this is the first I've heard of a need to have an rtsp port open, I'll have to check that out.

you do not have to open the rtsp port

before you can get connected from the world of the web you need to get the ports open that's step 1.

for an example of port forwarding see:-

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45425

Is it possible to have everything set up, ports forwarded okay, connection and port being verified as okay and open with Internet utilities available and then, somehow being blocked by your ISP upstream? I've wondered about that since I have a great picture on my local network, seemingly have ports open, forwarded, and available and yet - cannot access the camera on the Internet.

YES the ISPs do have a habit of blocking ports.. call them and speak to tier 3 tech support and explain you need a port opened for a security system.

reply to peacflwr. I am confused then see from web other forum-

------------------------------------------

I'm hoping somone can help me quickly with this.

I just purchased a PVC2300. It's sitting behind a router with a static IP address.

We properly port forwarded the alternate HTTP to port 1024, and we can see the web camera's ouput from ouside the router as expected.

Then I discovered that we can only have 10 simultaneous HTTP connections, but I really need to use the RTSP with MULTICAST.

We created a RTSP port forwarding rule on the router to port 554, and viola, we were able to connect from the outsid world using REAL PLAYER and WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER by entering the following:

rtsp://:554/img/media.sav

------------------------------------------------

so does it depend on type of router and isp if the port needs to be opened or not ?

reply to peacflwr. I am confused then see from web other forum-

------------------------------------------

I'm hoping somone can help me quickly with this.

I just purchased a PVC2300. It's sitting behind a router with a static IP address.

We properly port forwarded the alternate HTTP to port 1024, and we can see the web camera's ouput from ouside the router as expected.

Then I discovered that we can only have 10 simultaneous HTTP connections, but I really need to use the RTSP with MULTICAST.

We created a RTSP port forwarding rule on the router to port 554, and viola, we were able to connect from the outsid world using REAL PLAYER and WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER by entering the following:

rtsp://:554/img/media.sav

------------------------------------------------

so does it depend on type of router and isp if the port needs to be opened or not ?

I apologize, I misunderstood! yes, the ports will need to be manually opened by you, but the ISP may also be blocking it. They dont ALWAYS block them, but if you have verified through canyouseeme that the port is not open after you port forward, then call the ISP. As far as the router, I havent seen one yet that didnt have to be port forwarded