xartle

Wiring for a full system update

Hello!

The time is approaching for an update to my home surveillance system and I need some advice. Currently, I have an analog 8 camera system. The system itself works just as well as it did in 2009, but my standards have gone up over the years and I'd like to get something that doesn't look awful on a 1080p screen.

Is there any way I could use my existing rg59 siamese wiring? Given how quickly the IP based stuff is falling in price, I'm guessing I should just bite the bullet and re-wire everything. Is the old stuff good for anything now?

Thanks!

You can reuse the old wiring and go with HDCVI or HDTVI cameras, that will allow you to go up to 1920x1080.

Thanks for the reply! I had actually looked into HDCVI, HDTVI and HDSDI. It seemed like people are pretty firmly entrenched in their various camp and I got a healthy dose of fear, uncertainty and doubt. From what I had read, you need to re-wire with higher quality rg59 if you had any kinks or nicks. Is that not so accurate?

You might have to rewire, if your current RG59 cable sucks. It depends on many factors, the quality of your current cable, the cable lengths, if you are using 720p or 1080p video, ...

If your existing wiring is Cat5 and baluns then the obvious choice will be HD CVI as it can use either coax or standard analogue baluns but again if the cat5 is poor quality eg CCA or CCS you will suffer from poor signal then a rewire again with pure copper.

I have not seen the Dahua range of HD CVI (don't ask what it stands for I'll only have to look it up again) but I have heard they are VERY acceptable and as you'd expect reliable too.

But Which one to choose, CVI or TVI ????????????? good luck

If you want to move to IP without rewiring, there are devices from netsys-direct.com that can run ethernet over coax. There's also the moca networking devices that can do the same. However, the expense may not be worth it and it may be easier to re-wire.