Sam Spade

Help with NVR to IP Camera

Hi, this is my first post and I'm 75 years old, so please be patient with me.

I have this NVR

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281544828116?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And this camera,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281544828116?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

I have managed to set them up so that I can get a picture as long as I have the Ethernet cable attached. But I need to be able to connect by wifi. I have tried everything, but no luck.

I'm not exactly a novice at this as I have 4 cameras that I have set up to connect to my phone. The problem is that the new camera and the NVR are ONVIF compatible, and my other camera's are not.

I should not have bought the ONVIF NVR in the first place.

I'm asking if anyone can help with the setting so I can get this solved.

Regards Sam

First of all, I applaude you for learning so much about this. My father would have a lot to learn from you.

Secondly, I only see a link to the dvr, not the camera. If you can post the link to the camera I should be able to help.

Hi, Thanks for your reply, I'm sorry about the link. Here it is again,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201306042823

I'm also showing screen shots from my NVR

cctv1.thumb.jpg.67c0dc0472ebe7829813c5d37c7f28a6.jpg

cctv2.thumb.jpg.1f4501ef3b455b85549423afeda5b198.jpg

cctv3.thumb.jpg.4a9f0a3b2227083b68cc07db4fd3090e.jpg

The camera is not wireless..that is your problem.

Ah, so that's why it doesn't work. I'll just have to set it up in a different spot. Thanks for your input.

Maybe you can answer another question. I have another camera which is not ONVIF compatible, here are the specs,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Foscam-FI9828W-Dome-HD-960P-PTZ-Wired-Wireless-IR-Waterproof-Outdoor-IP-Camera-/231410932946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35e12a9cd2

Is there any way I can get this camera to work with my NVR? Any sort of software, or settings?

This is what I was suspecting as well, but wired is better since it cannot be jammed using a wifi jammer. You can convert the wired to wireless, but I would not recommend it because of the ability to be jammed.

Ah, so that's why it doesn't work. I'll just have to set it up in a different spot. Thanks for your input.

Maybe you can answer another question. I have another camera which is not ONVIF compatible, here are the specs,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Foscam-FI9828W-Dome-HD-960P-PTZ-Wired-Wireless-IR-Waterproof-Outdoor-IP-Camera-/231410932946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35e12a9cd2

Is there any way I can get this camera to work with my NVR? Any sort of software, or settings?

You may or may not get it to work...

First foscam is junk.

Second, dont rely on onvif...its not a sure thing...

Its always best to match the NVR to the cameras...dont just by cameras willy nilly...

This is what I was suspecting as well, but wired is better since it cannot be jammed using a wifi jammer. You can convert the wired to wireless, but I would not recommend it because of the ability to be jammed.

No one is going around jamming wireless signals-how would they even know if your cameras were wifi or not......wifi is a bad idea simply because its generally prone to random interference and not 100 percent reliable.

I'm not really worried about some one jamming the wifi, I'm not guarding the Crown Jewels, it's more of a hobby than high tech security. Can you explain how I could convert to wifi. I'd be interested?

No one is going around jamming wireless signals-how would they even know if your cameras were wifi or not......wifi is a bad idea simply because its generally prone to random interference and not 100 percent reliable.

Okay, if you say so. That means that no criminal or group of criminals has invested in one of these:

http://www.jammer-store.com/titan-all-in-one-jamming-solution.html

Wifi has always been unreliable. The idea of wifi cameras is more for convenience than for security. Real security must be wired.

No, they are not...its worthless if you dont know that whether the homeowner has wifi cams or hard wired cams...its easier to wear a mask....you have been watching WAY too much tv. I agree that cameras should be wired but not for the reason you stated.

No, they are not...its worthless if you dont know that whether the homeowner has wifi cams or hard wired cams...its easier to wear a mask....you have been watching WAY too much tv. I agree that cameras should be wired but not for the reason you stated.
True that you need some inside information, but most crimes are done by people who HAVE inside information. I don't even own a tv--I just use my brain to think like the bad guys. You can find a lot of loopholes in systems and patch them before someone exploits them. Or else you have a false sense of security.

First foscam is junk.

Its always best to match the NVR to the cameras...dont just by cameras willy nilly...

I agree about buying camera's "willy nilly" but I've always been a bit impulsive, and usually it costs me money.

This is why I'm in this situation, and desperately trying to fix it.....The story of my life.

But why do you say Foscam is Junk? is it poor picture, unreliability, poor quality? It surely can't be the picture because the picture is very clear. Are you comparing apples with apples? The camera cost around $130, can you show me a camera in that price range that is better, and I'll buy it. Naturally cameras in the $1000 range are going to have superior quality, but this is like comparing a Ford car with a Rolls Royce, The Rolls is good but the ford is not junk, just cheaper.

1562876818_testimage.jpg.a466ec40d67239973b2c6ab8a1e586fb.jpg

How would I go about converting to wifi?

get a tp-link mini router and set it up as a bridge...

as far as your other question, foscam is unreliable, and the image is not good compared to a 100 dollar hikvision fixed camera...you generally dont need ptz unless you plan on monitoring it 24/7 or setup some advanced triggering via motion sensors which you are not going to do.

Why do you say this? Is it because of the onvif?

Ideally, you'd just want to get a simple network bridge. There's tons of adapters to convert wired devices to wired by companies like netgear and the like. Any of these will work.

However, you still will need to run a wire to the adapter as well as power to both the adapter and the camera. Something to keep in mind as well as the fact that it can be jammed.

because onvif is almost meaningless...no one is properly following the standard...so often you will find that an onvif camera does not work even though the NVR is onvif...and sometimes it will work but the motion detection will not work and you are forced to record 24/7....

Ideally, you'd just want to get a simple network bridge. There's tons of adapters to convert wired devices to wired by companies like netgear and the like. Any of these will work.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bridge-VAP11G-Cable-Convert-RJ45-Ethernet-Port-to-Wireless-WiFi-AP-Vonets-/181631815807?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a4a19907f

Is this what you mean?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bridge-VAP11G-Cable-Convert-RJ45-Ethernet-Port-to-Wireless-WiFi-AP-Vonets-/181631815807?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a4a19907f

Is this what you mean?

No..dont buy off brand network gear direct from china

use one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tp+link+mini+router&sprefix=tp+link+min%2Caps%2C236

as far as your other question, foscam is unreliable, and the image is not good compared to a 100 dollar hikvision fixed camera...you generally dont need ptz unless you plan on monitoring it 24/7 or setup some advanced triggering via motion sensors which you are not going to do.

I'm a bit puzzled when you say the Foscam picture is not good. The picture I posted is so clear that you can see individual leaves on the trees and blades of grass in the lawn, you could easily identify the person walking past. I've seen hundreds of cctv on TV taken from professionally installed cameras that the are so blurry that the people are virtually unrecognizable. As far as PTZ is concerned, I quite like that feature as

at certain times of the year I get the sun flaring on the lens, and it allows me to pan away. However, I have looked at the Hikvision cameras and will buy one next time.

My interest in cctv is primely a hobby and not a serious attempt to protect my property. In the area I live I tend to think a couple of dummy $20 cameras and some warning stickers would deter the local crims.

BTW, I live in Melbourne Australia.

Anyway, thanks for your help, you solved my problem.

because onvif is almost meaningless...no one is properly following the standard...so often you will find that an onvif camera does not work even though the NVR is onvif...and sometimes it will work but the motion detection will not work and you are forced to record 24/7....

That makes sense. Too bad manufacturers aren't sticking to standards, but that doesn't surprise me.

Is this what you mean?

That looks like it will work in theory, but I was actually talking about something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=WNCE2001&aq=f&oq=WNCE2001&aqs=chrome.0.57.403j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=WNCE2001&tbm=shop&spd=17834469204262581843

Reliability will be key since this is a security system. The more components you add, the more single points of failure can take down parts of the system.

I'm a bit puzzled when you say the Foscam picture is not good. The picture I posted is so clear that you can see individual leaves on the trees and blades of grass in the lawn, you could easily identify the person walking past. I've seen hundreds of cctv on TV taken from professionally installed cameras that the are so blurry that the people are virtually unrecognizable. As far as PTZ is concerned, I quite like that feature as

at certain times of the year I get the sun flaring on the lens, and it allows me to pan away. However, I have looked at the Hikvision cameras and will buy one next time.

My interest in cctv is primely a hobby and not a serious attempt to protect my property. In the area I live I tend to think a couple of dummy $20 cameras and some warning stickers would deter the local crims.

BTW, I live in Melbourne Australia.

Anyway, thanks for your help, you solved my problem.

If you're happy with the camera, I wouldn't worry about anyone else's opinion. Although if it fails soon, that may be what the warning was about. 'Foscam is junk' wasn't very specific as to what might be the issue with the camera.