Sign in to follow this  
relmrunner

where to start wired or not?

For the last few years I ve played around with some WiFi security cameras along with blue iris, would like to invest in a home security system with 6-8 cameras most outside. The problem is wiring the house, under the eves would be near impossible because the attic as finished, and the house is brick. I do have a full basement area. So this places me in a funny position, should I even attempt to wire the house or just do a wireless WiFi network with its own router setup and computer? would it be to slow? any help would be greatly appreciated..

For the last few years I ve played around with some WiFi security cameras along with blue iris, would like to invest in a home security system with 6-8 cameras most outside. The problem is wiring the house, under the eves would be near impossible because the attic as finished, and the house is brick. I do have a full basement area. So this places me in a funny position, should I even attempt to wire the house or just do a wireless WiFi network with its own router setup and computer? would it be to slow? any help would be greatly appreciated..

Dont mess with wireless...wire it up with ethernet - make sure to use solid copper cable, not cheap copper clad aluminum or CCA..this will give you ability to use good POE cameras...

If you can do it yourself, hire a professional to run cable...they do this all day and can run it clean with zero to minimal damage.

If you go wifi you will have issues...you gotta run power to the cam anyway..may as well do it right.

Dont mess with wireless...wire it up with ethernet - make sure to use solid copper cable, not cheap copper clad aluminum or CCA..this will give you ability to use good POE cameras...

If you can do it yourself, hire a professional to run cable...they do this all day and can run it clean with zero to minimal damage.

If you go wifi you will have issues...you gotta run power to the cam anyway..may as well do it right.

Ethernet? how long of runs can I use, who sells these Ethernet cameras and systems?

wiring thru my walls will be impossible not even from a professional stand point walls were later foam filled for insulation in older house that uses real 2x4s and lots of cross members, I had a plumber one time and electrician that were pulling their hair out before having to tear into the walls...thinking of just running the line down to the basement wall and then drilling it thru the foundation into the basement, guess I could hide the wire under the downspouts running down...

Ethernet? how long of runs can I use, who sells these Ethernet cameras and systems?

wiring thru my walls will be impossible not even from a professional stand point walls were later foam filled for insulation in older house that uses real 2x4s and lots of cross members, I had a plumber one time and electrician that were pulling their hair out before having to tear into the walls...thinking of just running the line down to the basement wall and then drilling it thru the foundation into the basement, guess I could hide the wire under the downspouts running down...

IP cameras..that is the standard today..they run over ethernet..POE-power over ethernt..the data and power are supplied over a single ethernet cable...the run can be 100meters - 300+ feet....

You can have longer runs if there is a switch in between or you use an extender..the benefit of network cameras is that you dont have to homerun all the cams...run 4,8,12, cams to a switch then a single ethernet cord to the network connection...

Professional wire runners (think phone and pro alarm guys) can run cable no problem...

start reading the ip camera forum and learning...

IP cameras..that is the standard today..they run over ethernet..POE-power over ethernt..the data and power are supplied over a single ethernet cable...the run can be 100meters - 300+ feet....

You can have longer runs if there is a switch in between or you use an extender..the benefit of network cameras is that you dont have to homerun all the cams...run 4,8,12, cams to a switch then a single ethernet cord to the network connection...

Professional wire runners (think phone and pro alarm guys) can run cable no problem...

start reading the ip camera forum and learning...

I will do just that ,, thank you, anymore advice I will check back here all so..

Use Cat6 cable (duct grade) solid copper UTP (unshielded) with proper Cat6 RJ45s to prevent potential crosstalk issues Join to the cameras inside IP rated junction boxes and make sure that you can get the connectors into the box through the apertures / gland holes. You may have to modify the boxes a little to get the benefit of waterproofing your connections.

269217_1.jpg269217_2.jpg

The cat6 connector on the left has staggered conductors which are staggered using a loading bar also the IDC teeth

are half longer and half are shorter The cat5 on the right all conductors are on the same level.