azhumvee

recommended bulk Cat5e cable supplier, crimper/stripper

Hi all..

new to all this and going to get a 4-camera system going.. I'm choosing the wired/PoE route and was looking for recommendations on:

1. where to get reliable 500 or 1000ft of cat5e cable that I will be running outside (in a conduit)

2. a reliable cat5e crimper/stripper tool? right now I was thinking of getting the following 2 separate tools on amazon (since the crimper reportedly has bad stripping abilities):

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RJ-45-RJ-12-RJ-11-TC-CT68/dp/B0000AZK4G

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Universal-Telephone-Computer-Stripper/dp/B005OQNM3M/

going to throw in another question... so if I get a poe switch like the 4-port trendnet model.. I connect all the cameras to it.. then do I just connect the non-poe port to my existing switch on my lan? or do I need to directly connect the poe switch to my desired video server (xprotect essential or blueiris)

TIA..

Hi all..

new to all this and going to get a 4-camera system going.. I'm choosing the wired/PoE route and was looking for recommendations on:

1. where to get reliable 500 or 1000ft of cat5e cable that I will be running outside (in a conduit)

2. a reliable cat5e crimper/stripper tool? right now I was thinking of getting the following 2 separate tools on amazon (since the crimper reportedly has bad stripping abilities):

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RJ-45-RJ-12-RJ-11-TC-CT68/dp/B0000AZK4G

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Universal-Telephone-Computer-Stripper/dp/B005OQNM3M/

going to throw in another question... so if I get a poe switch like the 4-port trendnet model.. I connect all the cameras to it.. then do I just connect the non-poe port to my existing switch on my lan? or do I need to directly connect the poe switch to my desired video server (xprotect essential or blueiris)

TIA..

The maximum distance that standard allows for running an IP segment (cable run) is 90m for the fixed element and a 5m patch lead at each end (total just over 300 feet).

PoE will not run 500 or 1,000 feet. (check the specification for the kit you are looking to use)

Ilkie

The maximum distance that standard allows for running an IP segment (cable run) is 90m for the fixed element and a 5m patch lead at each end (total just over 300 feet).

PoE will not run 500 or 1,000 feet. (check the specification for the kit you are looking to use)

Ilkie

oopsies, I should of made it clear that my run will not be that long.. I just wanted to know what is a reputable cable maker and/or supplier to get bulk cat5e so I run 4 cameras at about 200ft each.. read some ugly reviews on amazon for bulk cat5e cable.

Ilkie

oopsies, I should of made it clear that my run will not be that long.. I just wanted to know what is a reputable cable maker and/or supplier to get bulk cat5e so I run 4 cameras at about 200ft each.. read some ugly reviews on amazon for bulk cat5e cable.

be very careful with amazon/ebay cable...many are CCA or copper clad aluminium and they often hide the info...

Buy monoprice, or on amazon look for cable matters or cables 2 go

local electrical supplier should have solid copper cat5 or 6 also I would invest in a cheap wire mapper to check your cables. make sure the plugs you get are for solid wire and rated for whatever you go with cat 5 or cat 6. get plenty of extra plugs as they are easy to cross up when installing.

local electrical supplier should have solid copper cat5 or 6 also I would invest in a cheap wire mapper to check your cables. make sure the plugs you get are for solid wire and rated for whatever you go with cat 5 or cat 6. get plenty of extra plugs as they are easy to cross up when installing.

Thanks. I pulled up some on monoprice.. confused why option #1 and #3 vary in price from $80 to $176.95 for same amount of cat5e cable. which one is recommended for poe/ip camera usage? looks like difference is CMR vs CMP..

Thanks. I pulled up some on monoprice.. confused why option #1 and #3 vary in price from $80 to $176.95 for same amount of cat5e cable. which one is recommended for poe/ip camera usage? looks like difference is CMR vs CMP..

Forgot to add this question.. with a bulk cat5e cable purchase. I'm going to add a spare line or 2 in my conduit just in case I add another camera down the road.. whats the usual method if I need to add length to an existing run? could I just use an inline coupler to make it easy or do ya'll usually mate to ends of cable by twisting the wires together?

cmp is plenum rated cable, you probably don't need that in a residential install, the plenum cable is usually installed in commercial buildings. The need for this cable is determined by building design and local and electrical code standards. It is more fire resistant and gives off less toxic gases if burned.

ok, thx. hows this one look?

http://www.amazon.com/SC8108-Network-Length-Cable-Tester/dp/B00A20KO18

Check out Sewell direct. Sewell PureRun Cat5e, Bulk, Pure Copper, 1000 ft STP (Foil) UV Protect (CMX) 24 AWG, Black for 109 for a 1000ft box. If you're covering everything up and will not have exposed they offer a cheaper CM version for 54. Good stuff and it is pure copper.