Sign in to follow this  
athomas61

8-Camera Home System, Information Overload

I am re-posting this here as I believe I placed it in the wrong sub-forum before....

I've read through several guides, and the stickies on the forum, and have a general idea of what I want, but the pre-made kits seem to get pretty poor reviews, and aren't customized enough necessarily for my needs, whereas a completely custom high-end kit is well beyond what I need for my fairly safe neighborhood.

This system is mostly just for deterrence and piece of mind. What I want...

-8 Camera System (I wouldn't mind 9, but I don't necessarily want the expense of jumping to 16 camera system)

-Wired IP POE based system 720p or 1080p with decent frame rate

-Motion activated

-Ability to view on Computer, iPad, Phone (Texts when motion is detected on certain cameras would be great but not required)

-System would be 5 outdoor cameras, one indoor camera, one garage camera, and something that would work as a doorbell/front door camera (there's no peephole or easy way to see who is at my door without opening it). But I also don't want an obvious bullet camera staring them in the face or 5ft above their head so I don't see anything.

I generally live in a friendly neighborhood, but there has been some vandalism and light crime here and there and I'd like to get a system setup and just be happy to have the piece of mind. The issue is every time i start researching it I get paralyzed by all the information out there and the dread of wiring up the whole thing and talk myself out of it. I'd really like to get a solid system together and get it installed and just enjoy.

Thanks in advance for your help. I have a floor plan of my home I can upload to give a general idea of where the 8 cameras will go, but I'm keeping that private until we get a little further in the process.

Wiring up is the simple enough. With IP a complete amateur can wire it up using ready terminated ethernet cables.

There are PLENTY of ready to go IP kits with matching cameras that will just set themselves up. Mobile viewing and remote client software PC or Mac are now almost common to all systems so all in all I think you are ready to make a choice, just don't get so involved trying to understand very last detail. You DONT need to become an expert to use IP CCTV or analogue CCTV.

and it needn't cost you a fortune either. What you need to look for is a supplier that will offer you good after sales support.