mikes455

Help with New System

Ok guys I have been lurking here a while. My question is to buy a complete system or piece together my own? I know everyone on here usually recommends hikvision or q-see. That is fine. I was just wondering is it better to piece together a system (starting with one of those brands for an nvr) or to buy one of their re-branded systems (like a swann). I was leaning towards a swann but I saw this lorex at

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100153164.html

but it seems like you can only use lorex cameras with that system, and those seem to be more expensive. If I buy an hikvision nvr is there a broader range of cameras that I could use with it? Also with a piece together system, will I get more bang for my buck?

Here is what I want from the system-

1080p resolution (2mp or higher)

8 channels (need at least 5 cameras for what I need -- would also like room to expand)

Ethernet/poe

remote access

some HD space (probably 2 tb)

Now I am a techie so I'm not worried about the networking aspect of getting the remote access to work (port forwarding etc) I'm pretty familiar with that. Just want a solid high res system at the best price system.

So any recommendations either way?