Zyra Tech

Video Splitting to DVR and modulation equipment?

Hey, great site. Glad I found it.

What is the best and most cost effective way to split video signal so that I can run camera signal to the DVR and then to the modulation equipment for local viewing on all TV's?

Right now I'm using a multiplexor with outputs to the DVR and then running the multiplexor video out to the modulation equipment and then using IR devices to control video changing, but there has got to be a better way.

You'll need a video distribution amplifier or VDA. Here is an example of one. Your local CCTV distributor can get them. Is there any CCTV specialty distributor in your area? If not then generally Tri-Ed or ADI can get them or might have them in stock.

http://www.vitekcctv.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=13

I've seen those, but correct me if I'm wrong, for a sixteen camera system, would i need 16 of those?

Hey, great site. Glad I found it.

What is the best and most cost effective way to split video signal so that I can run camera signal to the DVR and then to the modulation equipment for local viewing on all TV's?

Right now I'm using a multiplexor with outputs to the DVR and then running the multiplexor video out to the modulation equipment and then using IR devices to control video changing, but there has got to be a better way.

Modulation is good in a house where you cannot run new wires, but quality is not as good as direct into the video in port of the TV, which is still not as good as a CCTV monitor, but good for what it does.

Provideo has a cheaper 6 output distribution device.

Depends how many you need to send it to, kalatel (GE) has larger ones, that do 16 and can be rackmounted to do more, using extra cards, etc. They get pretty expensive, but do the job.

When you say IR, do you mean a simple remote for the TV or Mux, or what? Not many high quality muxes have IR remotes, which is why I ask.

You could run Cat 5 for keypad controllers, which control the mux. The keypads arent cheap, and will need to be the same brand as the mux.

Alternativelty, you can install a mini PC with Lan at each TV location, (sweet if they are plasmas), and using a wireless keypad w/mouse ball (like used with WebTV etc, you can switch to the PC input on the plasma, and connect to the DVR and control the cameras like that.

Maybe someone else has an idea in using the LAN method.

As for conventional, the keypads, hard wired are the only route I know of, you can run them up to 10,000 feet from the Mux (Kalatel (GE)), or link multiple muxes also. You can link multiple muxes, keypads, etc.

But if your IR Remote is working for you, then stick with it, it will be the easiest and less expensive way to go.

I'm not sure I understand the question, but isn't there a low-cost, low-tech solution? Just put coax T-connections on the input to the multiplexer, and run a 2nd set of cables to the modulation equipment?

I've used T-connected to split the feeds from cameras in the past, with good results. Just keep the cable length downstream from the T as short as possible. I don't see any loss of quality doig it that way.

just did some work on a RF modulator today, with 4 plasma TVs, some 20' Regular TVs, and a big screen TV (60'? it was huge), and a 30 some inch regular TV. The smaller ones and the regular ones gave a good picture, the plasmas were good if you stood back from them a bit, I guess thats how they are meant to be, 1 full screen image of the beach area looks great though at that size! ))

these are 6 year old Plasmas though, NEC & Fujitsu, mixed, different locations, still would like to try some new Plasmas/LCD.

Splitting using T connectors has mixed results. Sometimes they work just fine, you really have to go on a case by case basis. The problem with T connectors is that they cut your impedance by 50%, your signal strength by 50% and can cause wave reflections or an imbalance in the signal. Because multiplexers and DVRs are extremely sensitive to impendance and signal strength it is a toss of the dice on how well they will work. Still given the low cost of a T connector it is certainly worth trying first.

He is already doing it right for RF modulation, no T-connectors are needed, for a single channel RF mod(not sure there are multiple ones). If there are multiple ones, or using more than one, then you can just use the loop out on the mux.

I have the video out on my monitor, going to the RF modulator Video input, no T-connectors needed. So you see what the monitor sees.

Rory

It seems very rare that I can get away with using regular splitters on CCTV video signals. Like was said before your impedance and picture go to pot.

I've had great success feeding off the mux output into a four channel (or more) modulator to make local channels for the cameras. The only problem i sometimes run into now is using a filter and dropping channels on digital cable and satellite.

the ones i use do, filter is for cable interference.

i think he uses multiple ones so you can have a full screen image of each camera, on different channels.

the ones i use do, filter is for cable interference.

i think he uses multiple ones so you can have a full screen image of each camera, on different channels.

Yup, you are correct. I did a system in a high end residential application where I used a MUX for the RS232 control to integrate with a Crestron control system (which also ran to modulation equipment for viewing over all televisions). I then ran the video out on the MUX to the DVR system. Very little signal degration over the entire system.