Sign in to follow this  
alkizmo

Basic Dahua or Hikvision just for day time clarity?

I have trouble finding the difference between a cheap brandless 720p/1080p camera and a mid-range/low-end brand name camera when it comes to day time video clarity.

All I want is a bullet camera with no special feature (RTSP/MJPEG stream only). I already have a cheap 30$ ESCAM camera that does a fine job, but the colors look a bit smudgy. I figure a better camera can give a clearer, sharper image, like I would see with a smartphone's camera, but most of the images I see in the demo sticky post are either satisfactory with a very expensive camera (over 200$) or they are nothing special with a mid-range price camera (100$ ish).

Are the "brand name" cameras only worth their $$$ because of hardware motion detection and better night vision?

I have trouble finding the difference between a cheap brandless 720p/1080p camera and a mid-range/low-end brand name camera when it comes to day time video clarity.

All I want is a bullet camera with no special feature (RTSP/MJPEG stream only). I already have a cheap 30$ ESCAM camera that does a fine job, but the colors look a bit smudgy. I figure a better camera can give a clearer, sharper image, like I would see with a smartphone's camera, but most of the images I see in the demo sticky post are either satisfactory with a very expensive camera (over 200$) or they are nothing special with a mid-range price camera (100$ ish).

Are the "brand name" cameras only worth their $$$ because of hardware motion detection and better night vision?

Where are you located? I would definitely go with a Hikvision or Dahua 3MP bullet cam for under $100. You will get excellent video. Do you need to record?

Where are you located? I would definitely go with a Hikvision or Dahua 3MP bullet cam for under $100. You will get excellent video. Do you need to record?

Montreal, Canada

I only record upon detection of motion, and the NVR software handles that.

When I looked at some pictures of Dahua and Hikvision, I find the quality to be disappointing considering their price and resolution.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11322&p=270868#p270868

Montreal, Canada

I only record upon detection of motion, and the NVR software handles that.

When I looked at some pictures of Dahua and Hikvision, I find the quality to be disappointing considering their price and resolution.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11322&p=270868#p270868

you are looking a video of the darkfighter in complete darkness...search yourtube for hikvision and dahua video..

you are looking a video of the darkfighter in complete darkness...search yourtube for hikvision and dahua video..

But I am not looking for any night performance.

My concern is that I'd be paying for a decent camera only to have it perform better over much cheaper cameras only at night and have no real advantage during day time.

But I am not looking for any night performance.

My concern is that I'd be paying for a decent camera only to have it perform better over much cheaper cameras only at night and have no real advantage during day time.

Thats not my point..my point is that the thread you linked to was demonstrating a camera that can display full color images in complete darkness among other images like 4k res...

If you cannot tell the difference between a 2mp hikvision and some 720p no name brand then just buy the cheaper one...keep in mind that there is more to a camera than the image quality alone...like reliability and stability...if you want someone to reinforce buying a cheap junk camera, it wont happen here.

Thats not my point..my point is that the thread you linked to was demonstrating a camera that can display full color images in complete darkness among other images like 4k res...

If you cannot tell the difference between a 2mp hikvision and some 720p no name brand then just buy the cheaper one...keep in mind that there is more to a camera than the image quality alone...like reliability and stability...if you want someone to reinforce buying a cheap junk camera, it wont happen here.

Woops, I linked the wrong post in the thread.

Go to the last post, made at Sat May 02, 2015 9:42 am.

It's 3 identical outdoor photos of a grassy field with a guy walking, made with 3 different cameras.

Woops, I linked the wrong post in the thread.

Go to the last post, made at Sat May 02, 2015 9:42 am.

It's 3 identical outdoor photos of a grassy field with a guy walking, made with 3 different cameras.

Watch in 3mp mode - there are a million other youtube videos as well

There is no way your 720p camera comes even close...

Look if you dont want to spend money, get the cheap camera and hope for the best.

Look if you dont want to spend money, get the cheap camera and hope for the best.

Well, those are much better demonstrations of the pictures in the thread I linked.

That's I came here, to get told about such cameras. For 80$ USD, it is pretty darn good.

Do they make cheaper bullet style cameras?

Well, those are much better demonstrations of the pictures in the thread I linked.

That's I came here, to get told about such cameras. For 80$ USD, it is pretty darn good.

Do they make cheaper bullet style cameras?

You must be mistaken. The 3MP Hikvision cameras are on par with those that cost 4x as much (at least for daytime image quality). Take a look at Hikvision 2032 on YouTube and you'll see what we mean. You can't beat $86 shipped - http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2032-I-Outdoor-Bullet-Security/dp/B00G7GMEOG.

You must be mistaken. The 3MP Hikvision cameras are on par with those that cost 4x as much (at least for daytime image quality). Take a look at Hikvision 2032 on YouTube and you'll see what we mean. You can't beat $86 shipped - http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2032-I-Outdoor-Bullet-Security/dp/B00G7GMEOG.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I ordered one

Now begins the waiting game, AKA a month