Sign in to follow this  
FreddieHughes

Need Help Buying Security Camera

Hello All!

I need help finding a security camera system for my house..

I know little about surveillance so any help will be appreciated.

Here is what I'm after:

-Primarily for outdoor use

-Will use mainly for night time(IR)

-Need to be able to see atleast 40 feet clearly at night

-Wireless/Wifi capabilities but i'm not picky on that

-350$ budget

-User friendly, would like to be able to stream camera from laptop or iPhone..

Like I said before, I'll be using this mainly for night time picture quality but day time is a bonus.

So link me with whatever systems you think would be good for me, or let me know what brands and models i should look at?

Thanks a lot guys!

Get a few Hikvision cameras and blue Iris software for under $350.00. You just need to spend a little time to learn the software. I would avoid wireless unless you have great great internet service. TJ

Get a few Hikvision cameras and blue Iris software for under $350.00. You just need to spend a little time to learn the software. I would avoid wireless unless you have great great internet service. TJ

Wireless should be avoided, but internet service has no bearing on internal lan wifi...

If not IP cameras is a must, you may also consider "stand alone DVR and decent 4 cameras" . That can be done less than U$ 250 for your application, including HDD.

If not IP cameras is a must, you may also consider "stand alone DVR and decent 4 cameras" . That can be done less than U$ 250 for your application, including HDD.

Ignore comments like the one above...sunny must have a bunch of old stock analog cameras he is trying to get rid of...its 2015 not 2001...

Lol, I bet every body wishes to carry millions of analog cameras. Cashing them out quickly. Good to boogie around.

Good morning Boogieman

I mention in a post about internet service and wireless cameras that good internet was a must to have them work correctly. I was referring to cameras such as drop cam types. I didn't try these because of my limited internet speed. I think they would have been a great option for a few cameras. So your saying its not the internet speed that counts its your internal lan speed? This stuff is so confusing. TJ

Good morning Boogieman

I mention in a post about internet service and wireless cameras that good internet was a must to have them work correctly. I was referring to cameras such as drop cam types. I didn't try these because of my limited internet speed. I think they would have been a great option for a few cameras. So your saying its not the internet speed that counts its your internal lan speed? This stuff is so confusing. TJ

The OP was not asking about dropcam...dropcam does not even make outdoor cameras...he wanted cams with good IR...

Regardless, for standard ip cams, the internet service does not affect wireless performance...its internal...wireless should not be used because its unstable..