Sign in to follow this  
jackhandsome

Trying to get license plates

I have been reading on this forum a bit for answers on my dilemma. I see where a few people have successfully been able to capture license plates off of the Effio 9-22mm 700TVL camera. My dad owns a boat storage place and am looking for some expertise on a setup I am thinking about. I was thinking of building a small structure with a sign on it that I can hide a camera in. The structure and camera would be maybe 5 feet off to the side of the entrance. It would sit about 30" (around the height of a license plate) off of the ground and pointed at around a 25 degree angle to the right towards the entrance gate. The point where the cars have to stop to punch in the gate code would be no more than 40ft. It has automatic bright flood lights that come on when a car is near. I am wondering if the aforementioned camera would work in that condition or not. Thank you in advance.

You have the correct idea on catching the plate from a stopped car. check the mfg websites and other links on this site about the actual specks for the camera I know geovision and other mfgs make a specific camera and or software for license plate capture. The problems are day and night reflection from the plates and the different colors and patterns of different states plates. If you look at the LP cameras and software it often shows European or Asian plates in there examples these plates tend to be the same size with block letters and numbers and no fancy graphics which make reading them difficult.