ashak

too bright problem with sony ssc-m183+fujinon yv27x29la-sa2l

hello all. i've a strange problem with this camera. it work's very good in low light but when turning lights on or using it outdoors it gets too bright (almost white, you appear to be in heaven heh). i've tried to change the position of the (incident light) level screw but it does nothing (?)

this lens (fujinon yv2.7x2.9la-sa2l) has an nd-t360 filter so i find it even more strange.. what could i be doing wrong?

Does it have an auto-IRIS? (edit) Yes it does have an auto IRIS.

Also that camera is really going to work good in low light, but will tend to wash out in bright light. That camera is not desgined for outside lighting (as in strong sunlight).

it's a varifocal with dc auto iris, f0.95 max aperture and nd-t360 filter.

it's not that it washes out with sunlight, it has to be almost completly dark! even indoor with a 40w bulb lightening (behind the camera, not pointing at it) everything is seen white

the feature list says: The YV2.7X2.9LA-SA2 has a built-in neutral density filter that allows for images even with extreme brightly lighted situations. The filter effectively stops the lens down to an impressive f/360.

does the last bit mean that even if the iris should close further it stops at f360? it sounds to me like a contradiction..

should i get lens with a greater max. aperture (f1.2, f1.4) to have the camera working (indoors)?

thanks for your help

At what time of day did you adjust the Iris Pot? It must be done in full sunlight.

That lens is fine for day time.

Rory

i tried both, with bright light and in low light several times, it does nothing. the iris is working in different light conditions as long as it's in low light, but the damn screw doesent seem to do anything. anyway i leave it after testing always on the end of the L (low) side to get a darker picture but the problem remains. when adjusting does it change in real time or does it need time to "adapt" itself? i'm sure i'm missing something but i really don't know what it is

thanks

as you adjust the Iris pot it would change as you do it, dark to bright.

Sounds like a faulty camera. Ive used that lens before, the Kalatel version of it. Though there is a chance the lens could be bad also, id think it would be the camera before that. Do you have another camera you can test with that lens, or another lens with that camera?

Rory

no, it's my first cam, brand new.. sigh

thank you very much for your help

i think i'll have to call sony to get the pot issue repaired

I haven't used that camera myself, but the description suggests that the auto iris function hasn't been enabled on the camera.

If the camera is fitted with a slider selector for AI:DD, make sure it's set to DD before attempting to adjust the iris level pot.

Also double check that the Electronic Iris or Electronic Shutter function (Sony usually describe it as CCD iris) is turned off.

If you want to double check whether the lens iris is working at all, unplug the iris lead and remove the lens. Plug the iris lead back into the socket, and power up the camera.

Position the lens so you can look through it, then place your hand over the cameras lens mount to prevent any light reaching the imager. You should see the iris open. If you take your hand away, and point the camera towards a light source, you should be able to see the iris closing.

This brings up a related issue. I was going to bring it up in a different thread, but this one seems appropriate.

I'm running into an issue where one of our EX-View cameras occassionally gets the complaint that images are washed out in direct sunlight. Our engineering team has examined it and we believe that in very bright sunlight, some of the IR is leaking in passed the filter and washing out the color.

On our true day/night cameras, the cut filter is much thicker so the problem doesn't manifest.

Have any of you run into this in the field and if so, what do you do about it. We're examining lenses that have better-than-average IR filtering, an add-on filter, etc. But you folks are the ones in the field and have a lot more experience out there, so I wanted to pick your brain before I proceeded.

Thanks,

Yes! And With 2 Kalatel Mini Box Exview Color cameras, but i dont think you sell them anymore .. basically the Auto iris would not work at all - would not adjust - so I had to set it to EI and its been like that for 5 years working ...

On another subject, i had to give a Day Night Exview back to a client to take back, the Flange Back wont adjust properly to keep the image focused all through the picture, like 2/3rds would be focuses but the other part not, went both sides. What it would do is as I adjust the back focus it would jump .... otherwise a great camera, he's getting it replaced as far as I know for the same thing ..

Rory

Rory,

Wide angle lens? That's where we tend to get the phenomenon you describe.

Luckily, when you see our new 540 TVL cameras, this issue should go away.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm running into the issue I described above more with my dome cameras than the brick cameras, so I'm trying to work a solution that deals with board cameras.

But thanks for the input. I'm very interested in the EI setting, I need to talk to one of my applications engineers about that.

Yep i got some info on them ... if you want to continue via PM . please do so, or email .

Thanks

Rory

PS. where's the DVR project managers .. get them on here already

PS. where's the DVR project managers .. get them on here already

Hey, I told him about this site, can't hold a gun to his head, but I'll remind him about it.

I'll PM you for the details on the other stuff.

GECAMGUY,

Interesting problem you have there.

Just a suggestion, but if you simply want to establish whether it's an exposure or Infra Red issue, try hand holding a Neutral density (NDx4) filter over the lens, then replace it with a light blue filter; both should be readily available from a decent photographic store.

If the picture looks good with the ND filter, then it's an over exposure issue. If it improves just with the blue filter, then it would indeed suggest that the existing IR block filter is not cutting enough IR reaching the imager.

Once you've established the cause of the problem, it should be fairly straightforward to do something about it.

I haven't used that camera myself, but the description suggests that the auto iris function hasn't been enabled on the camera.

If the camera is fitted with a slider selector for AI:DD, make sure it's set to DD before attempting to adjust the iris level pot.

Also double check that the Electronic Iris or Electronic Shutter function (Sony usually describe it as CCD iris) is turned off.

i think it's correctly configured. DC/VIDEO switch is set to DC (lens is of this type) and electronic iris is set to off

If you want to double check whether the lens iris is working at all, unplug the iris lead and remove the lens. Plug the iris lead back into the socket, and power up the camera.

Position the lens so you can look through it, then place your hand over the cameras lens mount to prevent any light reaching the imager. You should see the iris open. If you take your hand away, and point the camera towards a light source, you should be able to see the iris closing.

i've tried this with interesting results. i removed the lens and turned power off. as i mounted it again and turned it on it worked! for 10 minutes...

the level pot worked and brightness changed as i turned it from one end to the other. but after that, it went again bright with no changes with pot adjustment. i removed the lens again, turned it off and on and looked through the lens to see if it was open or closed. at one time it was fully closed and next time i tried it was fully open. but with no changes if i there was more or less light at the ccd.

now i'm not sure if the problem lies on the camera iris controller or at the lens (i think it lies probably at the lens). what i'm sure about is that the iris control isn't working.

does the level pot adjustment manualy open and close the iris or is it some kind of "electronic compensation"?

thank you all for the feedback : )

ashak,

If you've checked your camera settings, it may be worth double checking that the lens connector has been wired correctly (check the camera manual to see what connections are listed for the DC iris lens socket).

The Fujinon wiring scheme is supposed to be:-

1. Grey - Brake Coil

2. Green - Brake Coil +

3. White - Drive Coil +

4. Blue - Drive Coil

If you've tried lighting and shading the CCD with the lens off the camera (but plugged in), and the iris is not working correctly, then that would suggest that if all else appears correct, there is a fault in the drive circuit. If you try an alternative lens and the same thing happens, then you know it's a fault with the camera.

Incidentally, the 'pot' is simply allowing you to set the threshold (or if you prefer a reference), against which the iris is held open to the correct degree.