I am in the process of installing my first system.

For this post the specs are irrelevant, but for information I have chosen the following:

• 4x HikVision DS-2CD2132F-IS 3MP PoE cameras with built in microSD
  • 4x HikVision DS-1272ZJ-110B wall brackets with junction box
  • 1x HikVision DS-7108N-SN/P NVR with built in 8 port PoE switch

I would like some advice on bringing the cabling from the cameras indoors.

I plan to install the NVR in the downstairs toilet. Which is on the left hand side of the house, in the middle.

My broadband connection comes into the back bedroom which is on the right hand side of the house.

I plan to power the NVR from the back bedroom via the use of a pair of passive PoE injectors/splitters thereby just needing to pass the Ethernet cable to the NVR. I plan to run some CAT6 up through the ceiling (in the corner), through the loft, out through the eaves and down the side of the house to the entry point for the camera cables.

To make things easy, I am going to pass the cables through an air vent.

272538_1.jpg

272538_2.jpg

272538_3.jpg

I plan on replacing that wooden slatted cover, which is about 6"-8" square.

What I would like from you guys is some advice as what to replace it with.

1. What I am looking to achieve is a weatherproof cover for the cabling, but one that will allow for the addition or removal of terminated cables at any time, and is not to obtrusive. Ideally, it should be no more than 1"-2" deep.

2. Also, do you have any suggestions as to what to place on the inside (where the plastic vent cover was)?

3. Lastly, could you comment on whether it would be wise to place a smaller diameter pipe (say 2") through the vent and fill the gaps around it with expanding foam? Or should I leave the current hole as is and just work with the covers?

Don't use the air vent

Could you be a bit more specific as to why not?

I can't see how passing cables through an existing vent is an issue.

Anyway, I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but it is practically blocked off anyway.

BUT

If there is a seriously good reason why I shouldn't, then I will reconsider my cabling strategy.

Installing a nvr in a damp bathroom that does not have a bathroom exhaust fan is not recommended...

Installing a nvr in a damp bathroom that does not have a bathroom exhaust fan is not recommended...

That's a fair comment, however the downstairs toilet is just a toilet (no bath or shower), is hardly used and doesn't suffer from damp or condensation.

Even if I decide to bring the NVR further into the house to avoid the "damp", can anyone explain to me why I shouldn't pass the cables through the nice easy air vent, and instead look at having to drill new holes in my wall?

Please, if there is a reason I am missing, then I will quite happily accept further guidance.

But just saying don't do it without a why not doesn't help much, it would be like taking a car to a garage with an intermittent obscure fault, telling them its broken (but not how) and walking away leaving them scratching their heads.