askerguy

Fiber Cable layout help

Hello All,

please help me in this fiber layout. please find attachment. my questions are in the attachment.

954660264_fibercablelayout.thumb.png.37a1c0cba27bcf3c2582ffd16cad3590.png

you chop the cable at every junction and drop 1 fibre off to the camera and splice the rest straight through to the next camera point.

so cam1 has 1 drop off and 11 spliced straight through, cam2 has 1 dropped off and 10 spliced straight through, cam3 has 1 dropped off and 9 spliced straight through etc.

while jazzar's solution will work I question how costly it will be to make that may splices have you considered changing out the cameras to IP? By the time you pay for all the electronics to convert the analog cameras I wonder if you could switch out cameras to IP and run a pair of fibers to a POE switch

while jazzar's solution will work I question how costly it will be to make that may splices have you considered changing out the cameras to IP? By the time you pay for all the electronics to convert the analog cameras I wonder if you could switch out cameras to IP and run a pair of fibers to a POE switch

well that's a client's requirement. And I would like to go for IP, need some help on that. If I have to install 16 fixed IP Cams so how much fiber cores i need? 32? because i think IP needs two cores one as Tx and other as Rx (correct me if I am wrong) as opposed to Analog which needs one core (correct me again if I'm wrong).

well that's a client's requirement. And I would like to go for IP, need some help on that. If I have to install 16 fixed IP Cams so how much fiber cores i need? 32? because i think IP needs two cores one as Tx and other as Rx (correct me if I am wrong) as opposed to Analog which needs one core (correct me again if I'm wrong).

Multi mode uses 2 fibers so each camera would need a pair. For what you are going to pay to convert analog to fiber and back you can do IP. Plus you will have a much better image.

I guess I am looking at this wrong If you can run a pair to a POE switch, that had a fiber connection, would that not be able to cover multiple cameras if they are located is the same general 300 ft radius? So you would not need 16 converters etc???

Multi mode uses 2 fibers so each camera would need a pair. For what you are going to pay to convert analog to fiber and back you can do IP. Plus you will have a much better image.

What if i use single mode fiber? then it will use one core for each IP CAM?

Only use single mode if you have to as the GBICs and media converters are lot more expensive then MM versions.

What is are your distances from the cameras to the head end?

You have 2 options:

Home run all fiber like you did in your design with a media convert at each pole and a fiber switch or large media converter at the head end.

Daisy chain from camera to camera. This would reduce the amount of fiber you have to run but will increase your switching cost as you will need a switch at each pole. At the head end you would only need a switch with a single fiber port.

you chop the cable at every junction and drop 1 fibre off to the camera and splice the rest straight through to the next camera point.

so cam1 has 1 drop off and 11 spliced straight through, cam2 has 1 dropped off and 10 spliced straight through, cam3 has 1 dropped off and 9 spliced straight through etc.

Recently I've heard that there is another way, instead of chopping, one can take a single core using some fiber surgery method. I don't know what exactly is it called, searched online for it but found nothing relevant, If somebody knows whats the name of technology to take one core out of whole cable and leave the rest of as it is.

Hi,

Keeping all the perspectives in view I think it would be feasible and easy to maintain in near future to go with slicing option. Chop each Fibre at each camera, use a media converter and take the Fibre all along to the last camera. The NVR conjunction can be a problem but if done professionally can be easily carried out.