Sign in to follow this  
atomicbeing

New system install advice.

Please help. I am new to home security. I would like advice on a new system for my home. We need 4 cameras, motion detection with snap shot recording and text to smart phone, remote /smartphone viewing, night vision, audio/intercom possibly for front door. I know nothing about NVR,DVR or cabling. Coaxil, POE, or whatever is best I need advice on. I would like 1080p and quality equipment with good waranty and company support. Am I asking too much? lol. I just want to do it right, thanks for any help or direction...

Please help. I am new to home security. I would like advice on a new system for my home. We need 4 cameras, motion detection with snap shot recording and text to smart phone, remote /smartphone viewing, night vision, audio/intercom possibly for front door. I know nothing about NVR,DVR or cabling. Coaxil, POE, or whatever is best I need advice on. I would like 1080p and quality equipment with good waranty and company support. Am I asking too much? lol. I just want to do it right, thanks for any help or direction...

Welcome to the forum. It would probably help if you expanded a little on the layout of your house, what it is you want to achieve and what sort of budget you have. Just saying I need four camera's tells us that you think you need four cameras.

Sorry.. I just need really 3 cameras. These cameras will be for outdoors. Possibly one at front door, this is where an intercom type camera to speak via smartphone when no one is home. Then one camera to watch the front yard and one in the backyard. I live in a small ranch on a half acre property. Thanks

Sorry.. I just need really 3 cameras. These cameras will be for outdoors. Possibly one at front door, this is where an intercom type camera to speak via smartphone when no one is home. Then one camera to watch the front yard and one in the backyard. I live in a small ranch on a half acre property. Thanks

The Hikvision 2132F-IS has two way audio. If all you want is a camera which will let you know when someone is/has been there one camera front and back may do that but forget getting anything you can use as evidence.

The Hikvision 2132F-IS has two way audio. If all you want is a camera which will let you know when someone is/has been there one camera front and back may do that but forget getting anything you can use as evidence.

What is required for evidence? Im looking for help here, I have no experience with security cameras.

What is required for evidence? Im looking for help here, I have no experience with security cameras.

The Australian Standard is 352 pixels per meter for identification, half that for recognition.

Identification shots can be used to identify a person that is unknown to the viewer. Recognition shots can be used to identify persons already known to the viewer.

Ideally you want to have low angle shots of an offenders face at identification resolution. It can be prohibitively expensive to cover your property at that resolution so you set up cameras which cover choke points at that resolution. Entry points like doors, gates etc, and passage ways like hallways, or narrow side passages, are choke points through through which people are likely to pass. You might want to put that resolution covering you letterbox to detect/deter mail theft, plus give you a good shot of people walking past.

Lens calculators like this one can help you work out the lens sizes and resolutions you get.