AVCONSULTING

Nuvico Embedded DVR

Has anyone tried the Nuvico DVR or had any feedback on the unit? I have heard that it is becoming a very popular alternative to the DM and Kalatel.

After hearing Rory's experience with the Pro Video DVR I'm a little skeptical about some of the low cost embedded systems out there.

Hi AV,

We actually called Pro Video, and supposedly spoke to the technician in that DVR-16/IP area, and I was asking him questions like, I want to play back recorded video over the lan, but he is saying, oh yeah, I gues there is no way to do that. Basically he said, and we did this and it DID work, have to use the CDRW built in, record the video you want, then play it back using the DVR play back software which is included. Now this playback is pretty good, same quality as Kalatel (cheap cameras used so hard to tell), but still cant play back the recorded video over the net, or save a chunk of recorded video over the net, to your remote PC. when i say net, that goes for LAN as well.

He even admitted, for the price, you loose some features other more expensive DVRs have!!

Anyway, strange thing is, in the actual manual, there is a section explaining the use of another software program, much like a GUI like WaveReader, or other softwares out there for DVRs, for the play back, etc, remote view etc. BUT, its not on the CD. It sais download the software, exaclty as i just wrote it, but not where to download it from. It has images also, but the tech at Pro Video sais there is no other software!!

The book has Speco Technologies on the front of it, so Im going to scan that page and email them it, asking where do i download this software from, and why is it not on the CD, and why do the techs not know about this software ...

Ill let you know what conspires, its a $1500 machine, need to be able to sell it to someone, current features, cant sell it under my company name, may have to sell it to someone that just wants a basic DVR, 16 channel.

Another thing, Gain is by default way too high, and the image quality on a CCTV monitor, does not match other muxes I have used. Wierd thing is, I am using one of their 9 channel color muxes on another job, just as video output to a second monitor selection on 1 monitor, for some hidden cameras, and the quality is better, and the gain is normal, totally different menu setup, etc. I guess it is built by a different company out of Asia! All kalatel muxes & DVRs have the same set up look and fields.

Rory

also, switcthing out an Everfocus 16 channel for a DVMRe CT in the next few days, will have some time to test that DVR out, and will let you know how it goes.

As far as I know, the everfocus at least is designed for remote video, with browser based software, think I demod it one time ago, will check it out again.

Have tried the Nuvico and its pretty good but you should look around there are plenty of solutions out there. Most of these systems are basically the same in the sense that there are 3 manufacturers of the "kits"

ALogic

Vineyard

(I forgot the other but will follow up later)

So this has spawned hundreds of manufacturers from China to Taiwan to Korea. In Shenzhen China there are now over 100 factories in the business in the last year alone. You can buy standalones for under $200 if non-network version and about $75 - $100 more for LAN version.

Once you get into the more sophisticated ones that have multiplex and hot swappable then the prices increase several hundred dollars.

I have used these a lot, so to answer some questions here:

- You can do almost anything over the net/LAN. To download the software onto a remote computer's IE, you just dial up the IP address and it downloads automatically and installs on your system. You need to have Active X downloads allowed in security.

We buy all of ours from DVR Supply (www.dvrsupply.com). They are out of Colorado. Their tech support is top notch.

Edited by Guest

I have used these a lot, so to answer some questions here:

- You can do almost anything over the net/LAN. To download the software onto a remote computer's IE, you just dial up the IP address and it downloads automatically and installs on your system. You need to have Active X downloads allowed in security.

We buy all of ours from DVR Supply. They are out of Colorado. Their tech support is top notch.

Which ones?

Have you used the Nuvico's dynamic IP support with DSL? I've been told they work fine with cable but have problems with some of the DSL providers.

Wonder what experiences you've had in that regard. Have they been pretty reliable in the field and have the end users been happy with the Nuvico's? I understand that you can't get live audio over the internet, playback only, is that true? Any chance of a POS with it or is that only going to be in the new XG series?

The Nuvico's aren't sold without harddrive. Spytown, the link above, has the pricing published. I did a quick Google search on Nuvico DVR and found a couple of sites with published pricing. Vitek pricing is pretty much the same since they are identical units. What area are you in? There is a large Nuvico/Vitek distributor in Los Angeles that has pretty good pricing.