primuspaul

Cheap receiver for in-car use

I am looking for a very basic video signal receiver that can receive and record multiple analog signals from cameras. The cameras I am planning to use are basic low voltage cameras such as this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CMOS-Car-Rear-View-Reverse-Backup-Parking-Camera-Night-Vision-Waterproof-7-LED-/321758470456

The receiver must receive and record the video data from the cameras to a reusable digital source, such as an SD card or a solid state drive. Right now I have a system which records using USB webcams. While relatively inexpensive ($5-10 per camera, $150 for the laptop), the laptop tends to overheat in extreme weather. Obviously I will buy new cameras since USB cameras are digital, not analog. The receiver must be capable of recording from 3 or more sources at once.

I am looking at this right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCTV-4Ch-DVR-Hybrid-DVR-1080P-NVR-CCTV-Video-Recorder-for-IP-Analog-Camera-/151708410544

Looks like it has 4 video inputs and only needs 24 watts at 12 volts no less (so no power conversion necessary since the car provides 12 volts). What do you think?

Something to help you find more results, search for "taxi dvr" etc

good luck

The Taxi DVR searches resulted in equipment recording from fewer than 3 sources (4 would be ideal). I did find a cheap DVR for $50 with pretty good reviews and working with 12 volts at 2 amps, which is very good for the car environment. Unfortunately, it will NOT work with a hard drive that is less than 500 GB. While such an HDD is easy to find, HDDs are vulnerable to vibration and their operating temperature is generally 0 degrees Celsius (freezing point) and up. Every year the temperature where I work drops below that, often significantly below that, which is why the laptop I use uses a small SSD, which has no mechanical parts and is therefore not limited to the temperature ranges of the older HDDs. A small SSD that I use is more than enough for me to record what I need, but the size of it is either 32GB or 64GB, I forget which. It is fairly cheap, but getting an SSD sized 500 GB or more is prohibitively expensive so that idea is not feasible.

I am looking for something small, simple (on button, record button), and cheap. I don't need to have the ability to play items back from it. I can do that by taking out the storage media and putting it into another computer. I also don't need to store anymore than 10 hours of video.