spiralsmurf

suggestions for best way to wire up a multi-monitor system

what i need to do is this...

i will have approximately 12 cameras total with 4 of them being outside. I want my receptionist to only be able to watch the outdoor cameras and then i need two other monitors that will display all 12 cameras. Also I need all 12 cameras to be recorded using a PC-based dvr caputre system or possibly a standalone unit.. i'm thinking that i would use BNC T-connectors to patch the signal into different places.

Basically using a 16-channel multiplexer i would patch off the outdoor cameras to a 4-channel multiplexer connected to the receptionist desk. i'll also patch the 12 channels into the second monitor and then into the DVR.

is there an easier way to do all this? Is there a way to get a monitor to show 12 cameras using only 1 cable?

Don't know the product you found, perhaps other members have seen it.

Most DVR's/multiplexers have looping inputs....so that you can link other devices....switchers....dedicated monitors....prefer this than T's....

DVR's with multiplexers will allow you to display each camera individually or all cameras on one video monitor output (Monitor A)....some also have an "alarm" video monitor output as well which can "call up" (Monitor B) a camera in alarm (contact or video motion) and display camera in alarm. Could be used for exterior camera viewing say "shipping/receiving" to alert the receptionist.....

Note to self...remember to pick a large enough monitor to do the job for the DVR....probably nothing smaller than 20" so you can at least see the pictures.

From this DVR, you can install a simple quad switcher at her desk where she can individually select a camera, sequence through all, or multiscreen them all....course you have to pull the video to her desk.

after doing even more research i see that you're correct about the DVR's having looping outputs. what i'll do is hook up the four exterior cameras to an old-school 4 channel multiplexer and run the signal to the front desk. i don't want her to have access to any other cameras, so that works out.

Can i use standard televisions for monitors with the DVR, since they have composite output?

If the TV's have a composite video input (RCA), then this can be used....might have to get an RCA to BNC for the DVR though.

Cheers....Rapid