Sign in to follow this  
djmurm

Choosing the right NVR

I'm alittle confused on the pricing from different brands of NVR's and IP cameras. I currently use dahua and hikvision equipment. I have a high end customer who was quoted a 16 channel NVR in the $3,000 price range and $800 per 3mp IP camera, brand was not listed. He was thrown off when I was only charging $900 for the DVR and $425 for 3mp IP cameras. He didn't mind the other companies high priced quote. But questioned the quality of my cheaper quoted equipment. Do other companies/installers sell dahua/hikvision to your high end customers?

Now, I also recently had some training with Interlogix/truvision. I did like their product but I would need to charge my customers $3000 for 16 channel NVR's and $700 per 3MP camera to make any money. So, my question is, what do these more expensive brands offer? Better remote software, better GUI, more reliable, more clear images, better tech support?

I'm just confused by this huge price difference. The cameras seem to be the same manufacture also. I'm I not properly pricing my equipment?

Please give me your thoughts and opinions, your comments are appreciated.

thanks

Brand names still carry some weight with the customer. If they have had a good experience with a certain mfg they will lean that way. Warrenty, quality components and support are all factors. I would rather sell an Axis camera than a no name who knows where it came from for a couple of reasons warranty, support and a quality product. I also would rather mark up a 500.00 camera than a 100.00 camera assuming the same per cent markup. Bottem line if you can't make money on it, you are wasting your time. What part of the market do you want to compete in?

Thanks for the reply. Most of my clients are small business owners. Bars and restaurants, retail stores, storage units, offices and some industrial buildings. Proposals using a brand like axis would never land the job with most of my customers, due to cost. Sometimes its hard to get them to buy my products, of course they always research the box systems and want to order the lorex or Samsung all in one systems and have me install it, which I never do.

I do agree, Id much rather get a profit on a $500 camera than a $100. But its hard to win a bidding war when your quote is double or triple your competitor and your main argument is that your selling a better brand. I almost need to have a different sales pitch for different customers as far as brands are concerned.

Are other companies having luck selling brands like axis to small businesses?