agurkas

Blue Iris using almost 50% of i5 1.7HGz w/ just 3X 3MP H264

I love how easy Blue Iris is to setup and operate, but as I am looking to add 3 more 3MP cameras, I am wondering how badly it will struggle. Currently running on an Asus laptop I busted a screen on. i5 1.7GHz CPU, 4GB of RAM, SSD drive, and 64-bit Windows 10. Currently 3X 3MP LTS cameras (H.264) are keeping CPU at 46%.

Yes, since triggering setup on the cameras themselves was almost impossible to get it done right, Blue Iris is doing motion capture/detection.

Am I doing something dumb here or Blue Iris is just that hungry?

I love how easy Blue Iris is to setup and operate, but as I am looking to add 3 more 3MP cameras, I am wondering how badly it will struggle. Currently running on an Asus laptop I busted a screen on. i5 1.7GHz CPU, 4GB of RAM, SSD drive, and 64-bit Windows 10. Currently 3X 3MP LTS cameras (H.264) are keeping CPU at 46%.

Yes, since triggering setup on the cameras themselves was almost impossible to get it done right, Blue Iris is doing motion capture/detection.

Am I doing something dumb here or Blue Iris is just that hungry?

Yes it requires a powerful cpu with HD cams...make sure you are recording with the "direct to disk" option enabled...

There are 3 main knobs to control CPU usage on BI.

Direct to Disk is critical, as Boogieman says. The other two are resolution (total MP) and frame rate. Most people don't want to drop resolution, so frame rate is the next best bet.

I recently switched my 9 cams to D2D (15MP total, 10 fps each), on an i5-3570k, and CPU dropped from 70% to 40%.

One question, please.

When "Direct to Disk" is enabled, the CPU does not parse the incoming compressed bit stream, any longer, in order to judge whether motions have taken place or not. It just dumps the incoming stream to writings into HDD. So the triggering motion alarms to users or saving HDD storage would not be possible. Do I understand correctly?

One question, please.

When "Direct to Disk" is enabled, the CPU does not parse the incoming compressed bit stream, any longer, in order to judge whether motions have taken place or not. It just dumps the incoming stream to writings into HDD. So the triggering motion alarms to users or saving HDD storage would not be possible. Do I understand correctly?

No, that is not correct. Motion detection still works...

D2D saves the incoming data directly, rather than re-encoding it, so BI is unable to add any extra info like timestamps. It still decodes for motion detect.

There are 2 things to consider with D2D on BI:

- No BI or PC supplied timestamps, weather overlays, etc. Most cams can provide a timestamp, sot that's not a big deal, but I always liked putting the BI timestamp on because it let me sync all the cam times without worrying about whether each cam had an up-to-date timestamp.

- Motion detect recording starts on the i-frame, so any frames between the MD trigger (or pre-trigger) and the next i-frame are not recorded. If you have a small i-frame setting, like 10 on a 10fps setting, you'll miss 0.9 seconds max, so you'd need to take that into account for the pre-trigger frame settings. If your i-frame is at 30 for 10fps, could miss as much as 2.9 seconds.

I come to know that there are enough rooms for improvements for more robust motion detection scheme. Appreciated with Thanks.