Linwood

Best way to change camera color

I've got several Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I cameras. These are ball cameras sitting in a mount that is held by friction against a rubber ring.

I tried paining one with the same paint as the eve they are mounted under. It was a good latex, but it just peals off as though it did not stick at all. Plus of course if I want to move the camera, it scrapes off -- I think any paint is going to have that trouble due to small clearances with the frame.

I was going to try again, cleaning well first with acetone or similar in case there is some oil or other coating that is keeping it from sticking, but I suspect latex is a bad idea.

I was thinking krylon as that sticks pretty well but....

Is there such a thing as a dye that might be better? Something that does not build a layer that interferes with repointing the camera? I thought of a permanent marker, though it is hard to get an even coat with them (and they tend to wear off pretty quickly).

I have one bullet and that would be easy to paint as the mount is different; this one (if you repoint) has the frame scrape over a large part of the ball as it moves.

My fallback option is let it stay there a month or so, make sure it is exactly where I want it, and then paint it in place. Will be quite difficult to ever repoint then later, but... well, it's easy. So hoping for a better idea.