jrothwell

Issue with Samsung DVR

I set the cameras up and configured the DVR but it won't stay up for more than 2 hours. What happens is, once the system is up for for an hour of two, it drops the network connection and just displays a grey screen. The only way I can get it back up and running is to unplug the power, wait and then plug it back in. Sometimes this does not work the first time and I have to do it a second or third before it comes back up. Again, it only stays up for maximum around 2 hours before I have to repeat the cycle again. A few times, it dropped the network connection and kept the display, the reverse also happened.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

I have tried both the HDMI and VGA display ports, it happens no matter which one is used.

I have tried both DHCP and static IP addresses and also tried a different network cable and switch port.

I have tried it with all different camera settings and also, with just one or two cameras plugged in.

I have applied the latest firmware and even reset back to factory defaults.

After trying all of these, I am still having the same issue. i feel like it may be an OS issue as I can hear the hard drive being written to when it's happening and the NIC link lights are active.

Is there any way to re-install the OS or does anyone have any suggestions that I can try myself? I am a computer systems engineer so I'm very capable, but have little experience with DVRs.

Samsung SDS-P3042

Thank you.

I set the cameras up and configured the DVR but it won't stay up for more than 2 hours. What happens is, once the system is up for for an hour of two, it drops the network connection and just displays a grey screen. The only way I can get it back up and running is to unplug the power, wait and then plug it back in. Sometimes this does not work the first time and I have to do it a second or third before it comes back up. Again, it only stays up for maximum around 2 hours before I have to repeat the cycle again. A few times, it dropped the network connection and kept the display, the reverse also happened.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

I have tried both the HDMI and VGA display ports, it happens no matter which one is used.

I have tried both DHCP and static IP addresses and also tried a different network cable and switch port.

I have tried it with all different camera settings and also, with just one or two cameras plugged in.

I have applied the latest firmware and even reset back to factory defaults.

After trying all of these, I am still having the same issue. i feel like it may be an OS issue as I can hear the hard drive being written to when it's happening and the NIC link lights are active.

Is there any way to re-install the OS or does anyone have any suggestions that I can try myself? I am a computer systems engineer so I'm very capable, but have little experience with DVRs.

Samsung SDS-P3042

Thank you.

Return it...buy something reliable...there is a reason it has terrible reviews...

Thanks, I understand it's a cheap system and from what I read there are mixed reviews. Regardless, it should still work. I simply posted here to see if someone could easily identify the issue and recommend a fix. When the system is up, it serves it's purpose for my needs and is sufficient.

Thanks

Thanks, I understand it's a cheap system and from what I read there are mixed reviews. Regardless, it should still work. I simply posted here to see if someone could easily identify the issue and recommend a fix. When the system is up, it serves it's purpose for my needs and is sufficient.

Thanks

The only possible thing that could fix your issue is a firmware update...check with samsung...my point was that if its within the return period, then send it back..dont mess with it..cheap does not equal value...you will spend more time on it than its worth.

Ok, thanks. I already updated the firmware. I'll send it back, it was only purchased a few days ago. Any recommendations for a 4 channel system around $200? Just looking for something basic.

Ok, thanks. I already updated the firmware. I'll send it back, it was only purchased a few days ago. Any recommendations for a 4 channel system around $200? Just looking for something basic.

what are you using this system for?

They seem to put the codes of Testing Version into their Flash memory. You better tell them. How do you like the quality of analog system? Does its quality win over the cheap/low cost?

They are being used to monitor the front and back of our house.

At first, I expected a little better image quality, not being too familiar with security cameras, but then I figured that was standard for the price I paid for the system and it seemed sufficient for what I was using it for.