EZJ

Security Bid (Need Help)

I have a corporation that wants 9-10 cameras installed.

He has bright lights on the outside of the building so I would like something that is impervious to all light conditions (if possible)

On the outside, I'm pretty sure that on each side of the building, (it is a perfect square), that I can cover each corner of the front and back (most important) with PTZ cameras that record on motion.

Question: How can I calculate the range of motion a camera will cover?

Secondly: I want ALL the cameras to be able to switch between low light, high light, so on, so I can install it once and be done.

The inside, and the doors, shouldn't be to difficult to install, and they do not have to be Pan, Tilt, Zoom.

I also need a DVR, a backup, and for future applications, he wants to be able to have internet access (they are in the country on low speed internet at the moment) and he wants a 16 channel multi-plexer so he can add additional cameras at a later time.

What would you recommend based on this limited information and what questions can you hit me with to make sure I can do this correctly?

I'm looking for a good distributor that I can get set up with quickly that is quite knowledgable and helpful with these type of applications.

I took some digital pictures, but my battery ran out, (damn it!), before I could finish taking all of them.

LAST QUESTION: On the inside, 5 or 6 cameras, would it be an ok idea to use Wireless? He doesn't have many wireless devices in the building, and the ceiling is very, very high. He will want the cables concealed and it would be easier just to install wireless if possible.

I want to make sure all the cameras integrate with each other obviously.

He has bright lights on the outside of the building so I would like something that is impervious to all light conditions (if possible)

Most cameras will have AWB to help compensate for the light, I think this is the least of your worries.

On the outside, I'm pretty sure that on each side of the building, (it is a perfect square), that I can cover each corner of the front and back (most important) with PTZ cameras that record on motion.

Why PTZ cameras? You can often times put up 3-4 fixed cameras for the same price of a PTZ. With a PTZ, unless you have tracking software (very expensive), it will not be looking in all directions and may miss something while the camera is looking in the wrong direction.

The cameras aren't recording on motion, its the Digital Video Recorder that is. It will not make a difference on the type of camera you use for this "motion recording" feature.

How can I calculate the range of motion a camera will cover?

A PTZ should cover a full 360 degrees, but again I think this is the wrong camera for the application. I would put a few fixed cameras outside on the corners rather than a single PTZ. With a fixed camera, you have lens options. Goto http://www.luxriot.com/calclens.html and check out the lens calculator, you can type in some numbers and it will tell you what lens you'll need for that specific location. Let us know if you need further help with this.

I want ALL the cameras to be able to switch between low light, high light, so on, so I can install it once and be done.

Again, the cameras should have AWB to help with the lighting changes. If the lighting is really bad and so bad that it washes out the picture all the time, you may need a Wide Dynamic Camera, its sorta like a super super AWB (Auto White Balance)

The inside, and the doors, shouldn't be to difficult to install, and they do not have to be Pan, Tilt, Zoom.

Correct, again I would use fixed cameras for these locations. Maybe even a mini dome style camera that looks discreet and professional.

I also need a DVR, a backup, and for future applications, he wants to be able to have internet access (they are in the country on low speed internet at the moment) and he wants a 16 channel multi-plexer so he can add additional cameras at a later time.

Your going to want a 16 channel digital video recorder. Depending on how much record time he wants will determine how much hard drive you need. There are lots of options for this item. There is alot of talk on the ICRealtime Pro unit right now but if your on any kind of budget, you won't like the price. The 16 channel digital video recorder will be a recorder/multiplexor unit all built into one. Most of them have remote access via internet, thats pretty standard nowadays. However, he will need high speed internet to make it worth while!

What would you recommend based on this limited information and what questions can you hit me with to make sure I can do this correctly?

This sounds like a bigger job than you can handle. Not trying to rock your boat but don't get in over your head. You'll eat your margin, give yourself a bad name, and start hitting things with a hammer when you get frustrated...I would research, research, research before you jump into this. How many installs have you done prior to this?

I'm looking for a good distributor that I can get set up with quickly that is quite knowledgable and helpful with these type of applications.

Are you a dealer? Do you have a security business? If so I'm sure we can all mention some contacts, but if your looking to do this on the side, your pretty limited to online wholesale type distributors that don't typically offer great support.

Most cameras will have AWB and AGC to help compensate for the light, I think this is the least of your worries.

Why PTZ cameras? You can often times put up 3-4 fixed cameras for the same price of a PTZ. With a PTZ, unless you have tracking software (very expensive), it will not be looking in all directions and may miss something while the camera is looking in the wrong direction.

The cameras aren't recording on motion, its the Digital Video Recorder that is. It will not make a difference on the type of camera you use for this "motion recording" feature.

How can I calculate the range of motion a camera will cover?

A PTZ should cover a full 360 degrees, but again I think this is the wrong camera for the application. I would put a few fixed camera outside on the corners rather than a single PTZ. With a fixed camera, you have lens options. Goto http://www.luxriot.com/calclens.html and check out the lens calculator, you can type in some numbers and it will tell you what lens you'll need for that specific location. Let us know if you need further help with this.

I want ALL the cameras to be able to switch between low light, high light, so on, so I can install it once and be done.

Again, the cameras should have AWB and AGC to help with the lighting changes. If the lighting is really bad and so bad that it washes out the picture all the time, you may need a Wide Dynamic Camera, its sorta like a super super AWB (Auto White Balance)

Correct, again I would use fixed camera for these locations. Maybe even a mini dome style camera that looks discreet and professional.

Your going to want a 16 channel digital video recorder. Depending on how much record time he wants will determine how much hard drive you need. There are lots of options for this item. There is alot of talk on the ICRealtime Pro unit right now but if your on any kind of budget, you won't like the price. The 16 channel digital video recorder will be a recorder/multiplexor unit all built into one. Most of them have remote access via internet, thats pretty standard nowadays. However, he will need high speed internet to make it worth while!

This sounds like a bigger job than you can handle. Not trying to rock your boat but don't get in over your head. You'll eat your margin, give yourself a bad name, and start hitting things with a hammer when you get frustrated...I would research, research, research before you jump into this. How many installs have you done prior to this?

I took some digital pictures, but my battery ran out, (damn it!), before I could finish taking all of them.

Buy some batteries and upload the pictures for us. This will help us help you make the correct decisions!

LAST QUESTION: On the inside, 5 or 6 cameras, would it be an ok idea to use Wireless? He doesn't have many wireless devices in the building, and the ceiling is very, very high. He will want the cables concealed and it would be easier just to install wireless if possible.

Probably Not! With 2.4Ghz, there is only about 4 available consumer frequencies. Plus, trying to find an intergrated wireless camera that you'll be happy with is very tough. And if your looking to add a Transmitter/Receiver set to an existing camera, might as well ask him to spend Thou$ands of dollars up front! Remember, even though a camera is wireless, it still needs a power source, whether its batteries or plugged in the wall!

I would just run the cable neat and clean. There is always black or white cable too! Then you can also use tracks that cover the cable and often times get painted to match the walls.

Yes, I am very new to everything, and I have studied off and on over the past year.

I just haven't found a good resource on where to train, or what to train on exactly.

I have set up a couple of Camera jobs, but they were very, very basic.

BTW, I am set up with about 5 distributors, but I don't know which one to choose.

I have been a Satellite dealer for the last 5 years and the last 6 months we have been advertising Security with little success.

This is our first big job. I'm pretty experienced with wiring, but I have never dealt with a ceiling like this so high off the ground.

I don't see how it can be too difficult, as lighting was my biggest worry.

What else can you add for a newbie?

As far as a source for equipment, you need to find a place that offers a good combination of service and price.

Be sure to bid correctly. Some people bid and extra 3% of the total job just to compensate for things they originally might oversee.

Where are you located?

can you provide a layout, pictures, measurments? or even a google earth photo? As much detailed explenation as you can will help. Pictures and measurements will also be extremely helpful in aiding your design.

oh ya and if this is your first couple of times doing this I would ad a lot more than 3% to be sure you dont eat the cost because of any inexperience. God knows I did when I started out.