Sign in to follow this  
parth99

Hard Disk crashing everyday.

Hi

I have a dahua HCVR 5108C-V2 HDCVI DVR, installed in it is a Toshiba 1 TB surveillance HDD. It worked fine for 5-6 months with an occassional crash which was corrected on formatting. Now from past few weeks HDD error or no disk comes up 2-3 times everyday. I have to switch dvr off and turn on everytime and format the disk. It records for 3-4 hours then crashes

This is really annoying. What to do, please help? I am running 8 HDCVI cameras 2 of which are 1080p.rest 720p

Is it normal for a hard disk to crash in 5-6 months of usage.?

I think since the hard disk tends to get way too hot on usage. There is no fan to cool the disk. I have a mini dvr. I fear getting a new disk will meet the same fate. Does heat really can screw the disk way early?

Hi

I have a dahua HCVR 5108C-V2 HDCVI DVR, installed in it is a Toshiba 1 TB surveillance HDD. It worked fine for 5-6 months with an occassional crash which was corrected on formatting. Now from past few weeks HDD error or no disk comes up 2-3 times everyday. I have to switch dvr off and turn on everytime and format the disk. It records for 3-4 hours then crashes

This is really annoying. What to do, please help? I am running 8 HDCVI cameras 2 of which are 1080p.rest 720p

Hi

It can be 1 of 2 things, HDD or PSU, Try using a HDD TOOL software to test your HDD, I would recommend HD TUNE PRO,a HDD shouldn't crash at all, are you using a Surveillance HDD? If not I would seriously recommend that you do,other wise your HDD will crash all the time especially with a HDCVI system, you will need a HDD with no errors as the DVR is a security device and tries to save your data so it performs checks on the HDD all the time if it finds even the smallest error it will reboot and display HDD error or no HDD

The PSU can also be a problem if the PSU is damaged and not pushing enough amps, so if it says 12v 2a it might only be pushing less than 1Amp, you can test with a amp meter or getting a New PSU with same or higher amps

hope this helps

Regards

Hi

Hi

It can be 1 of 2 things, HDD or PSU, Try using a HDD TOOL software to test your HDD, I would recommend HD TUNE PRO,a HDD shouldn't crash at all, are you using a Surveillance HDD? If not I would seriously recommend that you do,other wise your HDD will crash all the time especially with a HDCVI system, you will need a HDD with no errors as the DVR is a security device and tries to save your data so it performs checks on the HDD all the time if it finds even the smallest error it will reboot and display HDD error or no HDD

The PSU can also be a problem if the PSU is damaged and not pushing enough amps, so if it says 12v 2a it might only be pushing less than 1Amp, you can test with a amp meter or getting a New PSU with same or higher amps

hope this helps

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for help. I checked the HDD via HDD TUNE PRO and it was all mess. The SMART status was very poor. Funny I noticed clicking sound when the HDD was powered on that suggests it might have developed physical damage. PSU was ok, readings showed 12 2a. I got the disk replaced from Toshiba.

I am still surprised it was a Toshiba 'surveillance' disk and 4 n half months of usage it has got damaged.

I suspect heat to play a role in this. There is no cabinet fan in DVR. On operation Hard disk gets too hot even it I have the DVR in a well ventilated space.

Do u think overheating causes the drive to crash? I am afraid it might happen again.

Yes, overheating can cause premature component failure. HDD's are known for their inability to tolerate high temperatures. If the HDD is getting hot enough that it feels like it could burn you when you touch it, that is a sure sign it will not last very long. Typical rating is 50 degrees Celsius but I typically prefer to see them running at around 40 degrees or less.

Yes, overheating can cause premature component failure. HDD's are known for their inability to tolerate high temperatures. If the HDD is getting hot enough that it feels like it could burn you when you touch it, that is a sure sign it will not last very long. Typical rating is 50 degrees Celsius but I typically prefer to see them running at around 40 degrees or less.

Thanks I would install some fans now.

I recommend a program called SpinRite to analyze your drive. There is no finer piece of software to determine and repair issues with a drive. It is a bit old school, but trust me when I say it will do incredible things to repair a drive that no other software even bothers with.