fas

Software on Pc and laptop

I was wondering how any of you handle your accounting software on your laptops? How do you share the database? Right now I have quickbooks on my pc, but I would also like to install it on my laptop. The problem is making sure the data is always up to date on both machines. I was thinking of installing the database on my laptop and using it as a server for my pc so that the database is in one place and always up to date. Both machines would share the database, and when I am on the road the laptop still has the database available. I don't know if this can be done. What are most of you doing to accomplish this? Thanks.

You can identify the data files and than use a sync file program to keep the files in sync with the newest files always being the current version

I use Quicken, not for business but for paying bills. The data files are probably similar to these can can easily be copied over to the laptop if you would like, if you want to do it that way also.

You could also use a remote desktop program like VNC to connect to your desktop. Then there is no need for installation and maintenance of new software on your notebook.

I have vnc. I think that might be my best option. I was just wondering if anyone had any different solutions.

I have vnc. I think that might be my best option. I was just wondering if anyone had any different solutions.

You won't get the screen quality with VNC, but on the other hand you won't have to worry about forgetting to sync or update the files, plus that hassle.

I have noticed since I updated to a 19" lcd on my pc that when I access it from another pc via vnc the screen is way too big. I have to scroll everywhere. Any suggestions? I know I can set the screen to auto, but then the speed suffers.

it has to do with the Resolution settings on the 2 PCs .. so if your LCD is 800x600 and the Remote PC is 1024x768 you will have to scroll.

If they are the same resolutions then you will not have to scroll.

no, you can go full screen, at least with Ultra VNC, so its like you are on the PC.

Learn something new everyday.

I went full screen on the free version also, but how the heck do you get it to go back to the smaller size so you can see your own desktop or task bar?

a tab appears at the top which shows itself when you move the mouse to the very top, and hides itself when the mouse moves away

No I didn't mean my task bar, which I have stay on the bottom all the time. I meant how to get out of the full screen VNC session on the remote machine.

So far the only way I have been able to do it is to do ALT+CTRL+DEL which activates the task manager and allows me to see my task bar. I thought maybe there was a keystroke toggle that would do it for me?

Oh OK.

Found out how to do it. After you get your task manager on your screen you right click on VNC on the taskbar and choose full screen again and this shrinks the screen back to its default screen size.

I always do that, but don't you notice that when you go full screen the speed suffers a little?

I use either Real VNC or Tight VNC free versions. For basic tasks like accounting program work it wont be too slow.

But, speed will suffer a little runnning full color and full screen. You get used to the lag though.