CraigVM62

Options for Analog to Digital conversion

I did a quick search and found no answers from other threads so thought to go ahead and ask....

I have an old analog system which is cabled as shown in the crude drawing I have attached as a .jpg file. The 16 channel DVR is fed from 4x of these 4 channel video baluns. I am trying to understand what my options are to upgrade to HD Analog or IP cameras. Are my two options as follows ???

Replace the Coax from cameras to 4 channel baluns with USTP and replace the baluns with POE switches that can then utilize the USTP back to the DVR which will be replaced with a NVR

or

Replace that run of USTP with 4 runs of coax between baluns and essentially have coax runs for each camera back to the DVR location where the DVR is replaced with a Analog HD Recorder ???

Note I have 4 channel power supplies by each transmitting balun and the receiving balun is right next to the DVR location.

Is there no way to send IP cameras over RG-59 or Analog HD over a single pair of USTP "being that I have just that single run of USTP to each balun location.

My knowledge really needs to catch up with the times.

Thanks for any suggestions or info you have to share.

1025235380_AnalogtoIP.jpg.f943b42995ce7cdf1ae9191c7304491e.jpg

An option to consider is a mixed analog/IP system with video encoders.

http://www.axis.com/files/whitepaper/wp_encoders_57556_en_1404_lo.pdf

http://www.axis.com/us/en/products/axis-m70-series

http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/products_10659.html

http://avigilon.com/products/video-surveillance/encoders/

This will allow you to use your existing analog cameras/wiring and slowly expand and upgrade to IP.

Pulling new replacement wire can be expensive and labor intensive.

Also, factor new replacement IP camera costs and setup...

Pulling new replacement wire can be expensive and labor intensive.

Also, factor new replacement IP camera costs and setup...

Its very rare for that to be the case and if it is, then HD over coax like tvi/cvi is a better option.

Regardless op suggests that he can replace the cable...Id rather spend a bit more and replace the cable and get HD video than spend all that cash on an encoder to yield the same low res.

Analog low res cameras can produce better images in low light than most HD cameras...

That is absolutely not the case. Take for example the 1.3mp dahua 2100 series cameras. They have exceptional night vision. There is no reason to keep using low resolution analog, none.

How is the image with no ir for covert applications?

Also, the built in IR in most low cost HD cameras only last 1-2 years then they produce a crappy image under low light...

How is the image with no ir for covert applications?

Also, the built in IR in most low cost HD cameras only last 1-2 years then they produce a crappy image under low light...

I have these cameras running for several years with no issues. I have other low cost IP cameras running for 4-5 years with no degradation in IR. Yes some junk companies overdrive the IR. Dahua does not.

OP never said he is using the cameras for covert purposes, but, since you brought it up, I have installed several hikvision 1.3mp covert pinhole cameras and the perform nicely in low light - yes you need some light but they are great. Also there are IP cameras that are specifically designed for low light the perform superbly. There is no reason to be using analog except trying to save a few bux and as a result, you have an inferior image.

Covert can be just no IR.

I have some low res analog box cams that produce great images under very low light with NO IR.

Built in IR is inferior to external IR.

I have yet to find a low cost HD camera that can provide a better image than low res analog under low light conditions with no IR.

I don't think low res analog cameras are dead yet.

Give me a suggestion and I will test the HD camera...

Covert can be just no IR.

I have some low res analog box cams that produce great images under very low light with NO IR.

Built in IR is inferior to external IR.

I have yet to find a low cost HD camera that can provide a better image than low res analog under low light conditions with no IR.

I don't think low res analog cameras are dead yet.

Give me a suggestion and I will test the HD camera...

Try the 1.3mp 2100 series dahuas...most folks dont need "covert" no IR...usually amateurs do this thinking its better. The best solution is to add some outdoor lighting. Its less inviting to criminals.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sometimes adding exterior lighting is not possible.

I will test image under low light with IR disconnected.

Most commercial institutions prefer the PROFESSIONAL look of a box camera or dome camera with no built in IR.

Built in IR usually looks more residential/DIY...