Metal Shaper Man

E-FM1 Handheld Focus Indicator

I've used one for years. It is one of the best tools for electronically setting up cameras. You can check the camera, cable and monitor to make sure the camera is supplying a good video signal and that the cable and monitor are properly terminated. The focus function is icing on the cake. I claim that we are one of the only companies in town that use an electronic meter to set-up and focus our camera systems.

I also use it when I present my two day CCTV Essentials training class. It's very impressive.

Howard

www.videoguardit.com

Thanks so much for the valuable info. I thought it was most likely a good tool but, needed to hear it from someone with hands on exerience before spending the money.

Thanks again.

I also found E-CLM1, which looks like a more up to date version, with an monochrome lcd rather than led's.

Though the old red led's do raise the geek factor

*oops on second look, this is a different tool E-CLM1 Handheld Cable Length Meter

The story is, I saw a post about the CM-2. I typed a search looking to find out more about it. The only company that came up with anything in the way of CCTV handheld camera focus indicators or test equipment was Eagle Tecnoligy. The trouble is, they are located in South Africa.

Anyway, they listed a few models for adjusting CCTV camers. I realized that the E-FM1 was for focus only. The other models like the E-CM1 and E-CLM1, had other functions as well. Of course the later were much more expensive.

I'm still interested in the unit because, all I want is an easy way to focus a camera at hights.

Again, if anyone with instalation experience thinks it might be worth a try, I might test it out.

P.S. I would post a link but, they give prices.

Thanks for the replies.

So now we have a choice.

CM-2 or E-FM1, which is better?

Has anyone tried both? Price difference?

I know that the CM-2 does more than just focus.

I'm fairly sure the CM-2 or CM-1 would be a better choice for the pro installer because, it has most, if not all the functions needed to focus and adjust cameras.

From what I see on the spec sheet, the E-FM1 is for focus only. And of course the E-FM1 is much cheaper than the CM 2. I was just wondering if someone may have used the E-FM1 and what they thought of the usability and/or quality.

Simply, I'm just tired of climming the ladder with the 27" hanging around my neck only to find I left the BNC to RCA adapter in the truck.

Rory, that is a good question. I don't know anything other than I found this at a site called Eagle Technology.

If I can I will try to find something I can post that doesn't include pricing.

just focus all your cameras with a 9" CCTV Monitor at your office, then use a small 5' Portable monitor to adjust when you mount it .. thats it .. the CM sounds nice though i think I would still prefer to focus by eye on Varifocal Lenses - sounds like its better for lower res fixed lenses. But more power to you if yah got $700 to spend ..

Rory, I honestly respect your advise and openions based on the many post you have written. And I will take your advise on this one too. I just thought it might be a good toy to play with considering the price is not 700.00 or more.

Thanks, like I said though, if you have the extra cash, it seems like a neat tool to have. Ofcourse there are lots of tools I would like but ...

Anyway, once you use the correct cable, use decent connectors and intall them properly, use Decent Cameras and set them up properly, run the cable at least 1 foot from any high voltage (and nowhere near extremely high voltage), dont bend the cable too much, and dont over run the cable without amps, then there should never be any issues with the video.