mitbug2

First built Pc for DVR....got one problem with hard drive

Hello all...Hopefully someone here with more knowledge than I, in computer system work, to point me in the right direction....Thank you.

Asus mob

2 sata hard drives (80 and 320 gigs)

Sony DVD/CDrw

Floppy drive

Window XP pro.

I built this computer for the first time using the components that members here suggested hoping for a better,more stable pc DVR. Everything went fine, load window xp...no prolbem...but only one hard drive the 80 gigs (drive C) is recognized (see in my computer ) not the 320 gigs. Both of these hard drive hooked up via sata port and cable (?) and the set up screen do see both. so the question is how or what to do be able to use the second hard drive (drive D or E)

I did recalled that when I was installing Window, at one screen it ask me to

install or partition the hard drive, the 80 gigs was hi-lited, so I hit enter to install the window xp...its went on to format that hard drive (80gigs one) and went on installing the software into that drive but never went back to the 320 gigs one. Hopefully I, somewhat get you all to understand what i'm asking for. Thank you much for anyone can point me to the right direction.

pc recognized eveything else except the 320gigs one.

You need to go to Disk Management and define and format your 320GB HD.

(Control Panel - Administrative tools - computer management -disk management).

You will find an unallocated HD, you have to create a basic or dynamic drive and then format the drive.

I think you can continue from here.

Rene

Thank you Rene...I will try what you suggested...Its may be a simple solution after all (hopefully). Thanks again.

Each drive has a legend/diagram on it showing the JUMPER settings. The primary drive will be set as MASTER by default. The jumper on your secondary 320gb drive needs to be set to SLAVE device.

The jumper is a physical part of the hardware - you'll have to disassemble the PC to get to it on drive.

Check here for a picture:

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/articles/pc_build_xp2000_kt333/drives/build_pc_xp2000_maxtor_40gb_jumper_matchup.jpg

Hello CCTVCams...thank you for your help. I follow Rene direction and format and configured the drive E (320gigs). It's is now show up in my computer, as drive C for the 80 gigs and drive E for 320. So my question now is this, do i have to set jumpers too? they are sata drives with their own cable and everything?

You don't need to set any jumpers with SATA drives. If Windows saw your second drive and assigned a drive letter to it, you are ready to go.

Rene

Hi Rene and CCTVCams...Thank you much for helping...this forum is great...people here are trying to help eventhougt to some of them, this is there mean of making living. So now got the pc with the spec i wanted, next step is the geo card, and cameras...Hope to see you all in the pc dvr and camera section. Thanks again.

Mitbug2,

Glad I could be of help, I am also a newbie with CCTV, but work with computers. BTW I am using Geovision too, and I am very happy with it.

CCTVcams,

SATA drives each have a data cable to the motherboard/controller, as they are not daisy chained like in the old PATA (parallel), and depending on which connector you plug the drive into they will become the equivalent of primary/seconday master or slave.

Rene

Hi Rene...

I know i'm in the wrong section, but since you using the geo card, could you tell me how dificult it will be to install and configure the card (software wise)? Is there good directions to follow or you just swing it like i did with the pc (I do alot of reading prior dipping my hand). Thanks

Honestly,

1- Installed card on PCI slot.

2- Inserted CD-ROM with Geo software.

3- Selected which options I wanted (don't remember what I selected, but it was obvious).

4- Geo installation completed.

To be truthful it was so simple I do not remember the details, but it worked right of the bat.

It did take a bit more to learn all of the options as I am not CCTV knowledgeable, but they did make sense.

I did go back and followed a great guideline that Rory wrote about how to optimize XP such as removing services, and optimizing resources that you should also follow.

Rene

Thanks Rene...I have been following Rory since he just started here...asking him some help some years back, when my house got broken in to. Been reading alot of his post including the one about optimizing the pc...not done any of that yet...tomorrow may be. About the Geo, sound not to dificult...I think I can swing it. Thanks.