performance. when comparing drives within the same product line, the 7200 rpm versions are a bit quicker in each catgeory of performance (and a little more expensive because of that).

every brand is different (i.e. a 7200 rpm drive from one company may be quieter than a 5400rpm drive from another)

but, when comparing two drives from the same product line ... the two big things **other** than performance are:

1) temperature (7200's tend to run a bit hotter)

and

2) noise (7200's tend to run a bit louder).

I'm running 4, 10,000 rpm Raptor drives in a raid 5 array on my main box and the things are wicked fast but the machine makes the room sounds like you are flying in the starship enterprise when its crankin and the 13 fans are cranked to keep it cool inside.

So if you are working on a system where temperature could be an issue (miniatx for example) you are going to need to up the airflow through the machine and the noise penality could be dramatic.

...time for some liquid coolin

we are using 7200rpm maxtor drives in our dvr's, one think it that the ide cables are 33 and not 66 udma's does this slow down the speed of the hard drive, not sure if i am making sense on this one

If at all possible, use the latest and greatest when buying hard drives.

For example, if buying today, you'd want to get 500GB/7200RPM/16MB Cache/3GB/s Transfer. As for brands, stay away from Maxtor. I've replaced TONS of BAD Maxtor drives. Seagate drives have the best warranty and lowest failure rate, followed by Western Digital.

It will have an impact on transfer speeds...but on DVR's your bottleneck isn't usually the transfer rate. It can be a bottleneck for DB apps....and pretty much DB apps. For that you should be using SCSI anyway.

Getting back to bad and good hard drives WirelessEye is saying that maxtor are bad hard drives and saying that seagate are good, now i am not sure but do Maxtor own seagate? O.K Maxtor give 36Month warranty and seagate 60month but if they stay going for 36month's they will more than likely stay going for longer

I have used a lot of maxtor HD's before and had very little failures

I have used a lot of maxtor HD's before and had very little failures

Ditto, they are all I use simply because I have all of the Maxtor HD tools (which also work well BTW).

Seagate owns Maxtor - they bought them for 1.9B

Seagate is the world's largest HD manufacturer.

2nd is Western Digital

3rd was Maxtor

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/21/1311235&from=rss

If you are looking for hard disk performance specs.. Toms hardware (as well as some other hardware sites) keep ongoing lists / graphs of their performance measurements under various tests.

Here's Tom's: http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html

keep in back of your mind that not everyone is subjective depending on advertiseing influence, but between Tom, Anandtech, etc you get the general idea of whats a dog and whats not

the above storage link lets you select a drive or two and then a performance category such as average write time, random access time, etc and it ranks it against all other current drives. Keep in mind the chart usually only has current offerings so the turn over is pretty quick (i.e. some drives you may see in stores without high turnover may already be off the chart).

cheers,

Edward