danweber

PowerTelecomm DVR Problems

I apologize but I was out of town and had no opportunity to respond further.

Just try opening the remote viewer port with the telnet application from a command prompt (telnet dvr.ip.address 9310). The open will succeed but because the data is not recoginzed by the DVR it seems to freeze. You can say that it is a security feature that the shuts down to prevent hacking but if that's really the intention then it should only close down the network communication but still record the cameras. Otherwise if someone tries to exploit this port they can shut down the machine and I may not even notice the frozen DVR until it is too late. I think the fix should be simple by hardening the network routines. I am also surprised that this stops the entire DVR, as a triplex DVR I would have imagined that networking be a separate tasks and that it may freeze up the networking task but not the entire machine.

Anyway, after my return this weekend I now picked up the ICRealtime DVR yesterday. I am going to configure it this week and play with it a little and then post some comments.

That doesn't sound like a defensive mechcanism but simply a hung process. I don't know the OS but the effect seems that the networking thread is causing 100% cpu usage. But is that something you see in a port scan or only if you telenet in?

That doesn't sound like a defensive mechcanism but simply a hung process. I don't know the OS but the effect seems that the networking thread is causing 100% cpu usage. But is that something you see in a port scan or only if you telenet in?

I used a program I wrote myself and it does try to open each port and if it suceeds it tries to send a couple of line-feed characters and that was enough to freeze the unit. Then I used the Telnet program to see if I could replicate it that way and I could. When the engineers look at the networking code it should be quite obvious where the problem is.

Well to be honest we arent talking about a high end DVR here ... and why would anyone try to hack into a budget DVR in the first place .. makes no sense ... so I would not worry about it. Othewise spend the $ and buy a GE ..

Well to be honest we arent talking about a high end DVR here ... and why would anyone try to hack into a budget DVR in the first place .. makes no sense ... so I would not worry about it. Othewise spend the $ and buy a GE ..

Sure we are talking about a budget DVR but when someone tries to enter a network they don't really care what machine or application it is. They simply try to explore how they can use the device or computer to enter the network and that's enough to freeze the unit.

Looking at the logs for my network I see about 4 intrusion attempts a day on average.

Oh well, I think this subject has been discussed to death now. I'll start a new thread with my IC Realtime findings.