Sign in to follow this  
bozman

Which system to go for IP vs TVI?

Network bandwidth. That's what he is saying.

Then he doesnt know what hes talking about. If he homeruns the cable to the NVR, the only time it uses the network (other than the one created by the nvr) is when you are remote viewing. The bandwidth used for remote viewing with be EXACTLY the same for ip or tvi, 720p or 4mp, you can set the remote viewing bandwidth cap and resolution in the NVR.

Well I could never understand why this would be an issue. Since IP or TVI both have recorders connected only to the cameras.

Network bandwidth. That's what he is saying.

Then he doesnt know what hes talking about. If he homeruns the cable to the NVR, the only time it uses the network (other than the one created by the nvr) is when you are remote viewing. The bandwidth used for remote viewing with be EXACTLY the same for ip or tvi, 720p or 4mp, you can set the remote viewing bandwidth cap and resolution in the NVR.

Well I could never understand why this would be an issue. Since IP or TVI both have recorders connected only to the cameras.

No with IP, you CAN have the cameras on the local network. They do not have to be directly connected to the NVR. This allows you to install cameras easily in a location where there is an existing network infrastructure.

Cameras without recorders? How?

Who said anything about no recorders. The NVR is on the network. That is the beauty of networking and ip.

You CAN also have cameras without using an NVR, but using an SD card in the camera. This can also be used as a backup to an NVR.

Who said anything about no recorders. The NVR is on the network. That is the beauty of networking and ip.

You CAN also have cameras without using an NVR, but using an SD card in the camera. This can also be used as a backup to an NVR.

Yeah I read about that having a somewhat decentralized set up. Could you daisy chain cameras and then an NVR?

Yeah I read about that having a somewhat decentralized set up. Could you daisy chain cameras and then an NVR?

Not sure what you mean by daisy chain. It works the SAME exact way any computer network works...

What do you mean by daisy chain? cameras only have a single ethernet connection...you need to run an independent line from each camera.

vivotek allows daisy chaining on some of their models but you pay though the roof...there is no reason to daisy chain in a small installation.

Got a little confused. I saw a youtube video about centralized vs decentralized the former being centered on the nvr.

With IP cameras, there's options for wiring them up.

a) Wire the cams directly to the NVR with dedicated cables

b) Wire the cams just anywhere on your Local Area Network (LAN) and also connect your NVR to the LAN. Switches can be used to extend cameras out a real long ways...or switches can be used to reduce cabling in some situations. But with cameras on the same switches/router as your computers/smartphones, then just keeping in mind how much bandwidth usage on your network compared to the capacity of your network.

c) Mix and match the two options above

Bandwidth

You can set each camera higher or lower on the badwidth...even to an exact number.

The NVR will have a capacity to handle a set amount of bandwidth. If you get a really cheapo NVR...yes...it's possible that the cheapo NVR won't have enough horsepower to handle a lot of bandwidth...so in those cases, you'd lower the bandwidth settings on the cameras.

But even a middle of the road NVR (we do mention Hikvision and Dahua a bunch on here) have more than enough capacity to handle the bandwidth.

If your Router/switches on your LAN are running at 100Mbps speeds, then it is possible to add 16 cameras at full bandwidth settings to max out your LAN. But if you're running gigabit (1000Mbps) on your LAN, you're fine.

TVI

Most all my new installs this year are IP cameras. The only time I do TVI cameras is if:

* The customer has reallllly long cable runs (over 328feet)

* They already have a ton of coax cable installed (reusing the coax for TVI to save them $$ on the install)

TVI gives a good picture. But IP gives a great picture.

It seems the simplest is to just a self contained network with cameras and recorder without other stuff on LAN because of the bandwidth concerns.

It seems the simplest is to just a self contained network with cameras and recorder without other stuff on LAN because of the bandwidth concerns.

Unless you are running an antiquated 10/100 network then there is no bandwidth concern for 12 cameras.