Secure Den

What would you recommend?

Hi,

I only discovered this magnificent forum yesterday and seem to be one of the only European members (I'm from Belgium, you know the small . on the world map)

As we're always a couple of years behind, digital sureillance systems are being introduced in our region, which is why we're thinking of starting up a business around this.

As we're still in the embryionic phase of choosing the right products to distribute, we could surely need your help! Geo seems to be the only qualitative solution present in Europe. You don't have to convince me of their products, but what I've read on this forum, made me a bit afraid of their marketing approach. Can you give me some feedback on this?

And do you see any alternative for Geo, available in Europe? Perhaps some of you might consider to supply to us?

Tnx in advance for your help!

Den

PS: I've got the feeling I'm going to spend some time around here

Not sure how Geo would market in your territory, but if it is anything like in the U.S. then be prepared for them to negotiate multiple price levels with all your competitors so you'll never know if you are getting the best price.

And you'll see Geo cards all over the internet at discount pricing. You might want to consider going with Dedicated Micros instead. They are consistent in their pricing, strictly regulate internet prices, and are HQ in England. Their DVRs are excellent quality, and although may not have all the features a Geo system would have they are rock solid embedded units.

Another alternative would be GE/Kalatel which has similar products.

I agree and Dissagree with AVDESIGN, Geo's marketing aproach is woefull to say the least, what they will do to you is they will be your friend and offer pretty good prices and a rebate for advertising their product with their logo, this serves to expose your area to Geo, then after people try to shortcut you and buy from Geo and they see the demand in your area from the work you do to promote it, they will take distribution pricing away by setting unreasonable targets then they will contact everyone in security in your area and try to sell direct to them and lastly they will visit your country to sell there themselves.

There is nothing that compares to Geo on the market, the Dedicated Micros is good so is the kalatel but hate to tell you, Dedicated and Kalatel also bandy prices differently so you can not be sure where to set your prices, ONLY in the US have I seen Kalatel and ONLY in UK have I seen standardised prices and I fear that is more due to distributors actually working together than Manufactorers setting prices, for this means you will have the same issues as Geo with Dedicated and Kalatel They also attend more shows than Geo and just because they do not sell direct does not mean that at a trade event they can not tell your customer to buy cheaper from their other distributor in Europe.

This is a common problem and I suggest that you can actually Go with Geo but be prepared ahead of them, you can use the rebate and use them, but sell it as OEM, dont mention it is Geo, change the GUI and never use their product codes, then people wont contact Geo and they will not really keep an eye on the demand, this should work for a good 12 months and you will be able to sell a rock solid product while looking for somehting better without having to watch over your shoulder.

Thats what I wish I had done anyhow, and if you need to buy Geo you can get it from me then they wont know of the demand in your area!

I hope this helps,

GC

Tnx for the quick & useful reply!

I must say that this worries me a bit but as you say, at least we can be prepared.

As far as I can see for now, both practices are on the market. Most players mention the Geo codes while some just put it in another box and market under a different brand. It even took me a while to discover the Geo is the only one to be omnipresent.

I'll take your remarks into consideration but I think you're right to proceed with Geo and keep a close eye on the market to find a alternative with consistent market approach within 12 months.

Tnx again!

Den

Let me know what you'd like pricing on. Depending on the product category, we can get you set up w/ various supply channels.