Sign in to follow this  
peterdewolf

dropping frame rates

Foscam f19900p low frame rates

This camera looks awesome in daylight but at night it's really disappointing. No matter what I do in Video setting to lower the bitrate or the resolution, the camera drops to 4fps as soon as it gets dark. I have lots of ambient lighting from street lights, cars, homes etc and even in infrafred it still drops to 4FPS. Even when a security floodlight is triggered the camera doesn't 'wake up' and stays at 4fps. It is wired directly to my router.

Also the sharpness slider in the configurations does nothing at all. The footage always looks 'soft'. Not crisp. I have two 720p Avtech cameras that are far better than this camera at handling low light. Why does the frame rate drop so low. I've dropped the bit rate and the resolution in configurations, selected CBR but the camera seems to ignore everything an stubbornly reverts to 4fps in low light.

peterdewolf

thanks I've been in touch with them, they also said to wait for firmware updates

BTW ido you know if there any way to adjust the lens in this camera, in my avtech cameras I can take off the glass and manually turn the lens to adjust the fixed focus ( very handy ) . ALL the files that came with the CD are damaged so no infor there.

thanks I've been in touch with them, they also said to wait for firmware updates

BTW ido you know if there any way to adjust the lens in this camera, in my avtech cameras I can take off the glass and manually turn the lens to adjust the fixed focus ( very handy ) . ALL the files that came with the CD are damaged so no infor there.

A firmware update will not solve your problem. They will tell you that until you can no longer return it. This is has been a known issue with foscams and the like forever. Google it.

yep looks like you're right. Tech support asked me for a screen grab of the footage then asked me to point it somewhere else to see if that resolved the problem !!! I was tempted to use four letter words. seems their support is fine responding off a chat sheet of known FAQs and standard answers. Everything about this camera, the build quality, the softwear compatibility, the networking sophistication, the wireless capability, th ease of set up, the phone accessibility etc are second to none, the one thing wrong with it is it doesn't take good video !!!!! Now if they get everything else so right how can they get this so wrong. I'm returning it.