Sign in to follow this  
tonymas13

Junction Box Outdoor Camera.

I have a wall junction box on the outside of my home. There's a motion light there at the moment but it's not the greatest setup. It's near my front door and I was hoping I could maybe utilize it for home security. I am not familiar with this world at all. I was wondering does something exist that I could hard wire into my homes power via a junction box mount and access via Wifi or something similar? Thanks.

Ethernet over power lines devices do exist, but I am not aware of one that is designed for outdoor use. You would also have to sort out the power to the camera. My guess is that you would require a much larger enclosure to house the equipment required to pull this off.

If you don't have any other lighting near the front door, keep that junction box for lighting.

Your front door camera will produce better night-time images with light...

I think there are a lot of aspects to a functional CCTV system that you aren't taking into account.

Do you want to record footage? I.E. if a bad guy breaks in, do you want to be able to review footage and see who/when it was? If so, you need some type of recorder. It is possible to record to an internal SD card, but that is far from ideal (SD cards are nowhere near as reliable as standard hard drives, since surveillance recording requires either very frequent or constant writing).

As others have said, you may want to just keep the motion light there. For one thing, motion lights, themselves, are pretty good deterrents to criminal activity. Cameras on residences don't seem to be a good deterrent, since they often go unnoticed.

I think a better way to go about this is to decide what it is you want a CCTV system to do, and then go from there. The presence of some romex pulled to the location where you want your camera doesn't necessarily provide any real benefit...