Serengeti

Newbie advice requested

Hi all, I'm looking for newbie recommendations for a new home IP poe system. I currently have a q-see 960h system. I was considering this from costco:

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-8-4MP-Cameras-with-100-ft.-Night-Vision.product.100213199.html

but its pricey and limited (only records 1080p), and I thought I'd look into buying individual components so that I could build on it as I go along and perhaps save some money (or get better components for the money), and that's how I found your forum.

I would like to buy:

8-16 channel nvr, atleast 8 channels poe

8 4-5mp cameras, good night vision

I'm not anticipating being a power user and just plan to record around the exterior of the house, and want to make sure I have a reliable system that can adequately record up to 8 hd cameras (or more, if affordable.)

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated! I see lots of hikvision dvrs on ebay as well as hikvision and dahua cameras.

TIA.

Hi all, I'm looking for newbie recommendations for a new home IP poe system. I currently have a q-see 960h system. I was considering this from costco:

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-8-4MP-Cameras-with-100-ft.-Night-Vision.product.100213199.html

but its pricey and limited (only records 1080p), and I thought I'd look into buying individual components so that I could build on it as I go along and perhaps save some money (or get better components for the money), and that's how I found your forum.

I would like to buy:

8-16 channel nvr, atleast 8 channels poe

8 4-5mp cameras, good night vision

I'm not anticipating being a power user and just plan to record around the exterior of the house, and want to make sure I have a reliable system that can adequately record up to 8 hd cameras (or more, if affordable.)

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated! I see lots of hikvision dvrs on ebay as well as hikvision and dahua cameras.

TIA.

The costco system is a rebranded dahua..it will record in 4mp mode, note sure why you think it will only record 1080p..

The costco system is a rebranded dahua..it will record in 4mp mode, note sure why you think it will only record 1080p..

It lists under Specifications:

Recording Resolution: 1080p

I read the link: Costco /QSee 16 Channel System,

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel- ... 13199.html

Found out the NVR claims 4MP camera recorded at 20FPS rate per channel...

It claims to handle 16 Ch.

Can anyone confirm that the DVR can really de-compress and play back 8 Ch or 16 Ch of 4 MP recorded each at 20 FPS, simultaneously on a monitor?

Can anyone confirm that the DVR can really de-compress and play back 8 Ch or 16 Ch of 4 MP recorded each at 20 FPS, simultaneously on a monitor?

Its DOES handle 4mp. It DOES handle 20fps per camera. Why do you use the word "claim" as if alleging that this is a false claim?

There is no reason to playback 8ch of 4mp video, because the monitor will NOT be displaying that if you have 8 cameras on a 1080p monitor. How many times do you need to be reminded of this? Why do you keep asking for this useless function as if not having it is a bad thing? At least the user can view full 4mp if they want to in full screen and zoom in on the important detail. Do you have a better solution? other than recording in low res 960h which gives you low res images that cannot be effectively zoomed in on and cannot provide a 4mp image either? As usual you make no sense.

That NVR can playback up to 4 ch at full res..an 16 using the substream..which will still be better quality than junk 960h and the user has the OPTION to then select ANY of the cameras and watch up to 4 in full res at a time...but again, it doesnt matter on a 1080p monitor if you are watching a matrix because the monitor itself is NOT capable of displaying more than 1 camera in 1080p...Please please learn about this technology before providing incorrect advice to users on this forum!!! Enough is enough.

Tell us why we need FULL 4mp res x 16 cameras on a 1080p monitor??? it makes ZERO sense.

If the users plays back the substream and needs further detail, they can bring up a single camera in full screen then zoom in.

Its DOES handle 4mp. It DOES handle 20fps per camera. Why do you use the word "claim" as if alleging that this is a false claim?

There is no reason to playback 8ch of 4mp video, because the monitor will NOT be displaying that if you have 8 cameras on a 1080p monitor. How many times do you need to be reminded of this? Why do you keep asking for this useless function as if not having it is a bad thing? At least the user can view full 4mp if they want to in full screen and zoom in on the important detail. Do you have a better solution? other than recording in low res 960h which gives you low res images that cannot be effectively zoomed in on and cannot provide a 4mp image either? As usual you make no sense.

That NVR can playback up to 4 ch at full res..an 16 using the substream..which will still be better quality than junk 960h and the user has the OPTION to then select ANY of the cameras and watch up to 4 in full res at a time...but again, it doesnt matter on a 1080p monitor if you are watching a matrix because the monitor itself is NOT capable of displaying more than 1 camera in 1080p...Please please learn about this technology before providing incorrect advice to users on this forum!!! Enough is enough.

Tell us why we need FULL 4mp res x 16 cameras on a 1080p monitor??? it makes ZERO sense.

If the users plays back the substream and needs further detail, they can bring up a single camera in full screen then zoom in.

I guess the chip inside the box can do play back (decoding simultaneously) 4 Ch X 1080P X 30FPS as a Max Performance. I mean the max decoding capability to be limited to 120FPS of 1080P. Substream is another cost to HDD and burden to Network...

I guess the chip inside the box can do play back (decoding simultaneously) 4 Ch X 1080P X 30FPS as a Max Performance. I mean the max decoding capability to be limited to 120FPS of 1080P. Substream is another cost to HDD and burden to Network...

It can playback 4 cameras a 4mp...why do you say 1080p?

Second there is NO point in playing back 16 cameras in 4mp because the MONITOR does not support it.

There is NO cost to the hard drive(the unit comes with a huge drive, the subtream uses a low bitrate) OR the network (cables are run to the NVR, no data passes though the network). Your solution is to simply record low res all the time, how stupid is that?

Edited by Guest

Ok, let's get one thing cleared up. When you are displaying multiple cameras in a grid, the NVR is generally smart enough to down-sample that image.

The point of displaying/ recording a 4MP image is to give the ability to zoom in (using digital zoom) while maintaining a good quality picture, i fyou reduce the resolution if means you are reducing the number of pixels available to maintain a quality image, got it?

If there are no plans to zoom in on anything in the field of view, you are 100% correct that 4MP makes no sense. You have to think this all the way thru though. What happens on the one day that something truly awful happens and you need video evidence of that awful thing? There is a STRONG possibility that you will want to zoom in on a particular target. That is the reason for the high resolution. Generally you should trust a published spec, unless there is some mitigating factor to give you cause for doubting it. In this case, they claim 16 channels at 4MP so roll with it! I think you are seriously underestimating the power of a purpose built device whose only job is to manage, decode, and record your video. This is not an off the shelf PC that is made to do 9,000,000,000 things it has one job... CCTV.

I went ahead and purchased this Q-See bundle above from Costco while on sale ($1299.) What is the best pc software to view, playback, and manage the nvr and cameras? (or what are some recommended options, free and/or not free?)