Sign in to follow this  
sichuan

Single Monitor For Security System DVR AND Desktop Computer?

First and foremost, let me apologize if I'm in the wrong forum. If so, please let me know.

I have a Samsung Monitor Model 2033SW that I use for my desktop computer. It has both RGB and DVI inputs on the back of it. Due to a recent breaking and entering at my home I purchased a multi-camera security system. I purchased the Q-See 8-Channel 6 HD 720p Night Vision Cameras w/1TB HDD DVR Security System. The DVR for this system has two options for connecting to a monitor. I can use the HDMI connection or the RGB (analog, I assume) connection. I realize that HDMI would be the better option but then again, it's just a security system.

If I connect my security system DVR using the RGB connection will I be able to switch between the RGB and DVI connections so that I can use the same monitor for both my desktop computer and the security system DVR? If so, that's what I'll do. If not, I'll simply purchase a 24" 720p or 1080p monitor with at least one HDMI connection and use HDMI. It would be easier and eliminate the clutter if I can use just the one monitor. Of course, if there is a major advantage to having separate monitors I will purchase the additional monitor. If anyone knows of a particular monitor that works best with security systems I would appreciate it very much if you could steer me in that direction.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.

Thank you, ssnapier, Securame and tomcctv, for your prompt replies. I appreciate it very much. My desktop connects to the monitor via DVI and the security system will connect via VGA so I can't use a VGA/VGA switch. My monitor is several years old and has one DVI input and one VGA input so I need to be able to switch from DVI to VGA on the same monitor. This is the user manual for my Samsung monitor:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/EM/200905/20090526191020125/BN59-00950A-02Eng.pdf

I still haven't figured out how to switch from DVI to VGA. Please excuse my ignorance. The monitor has a menu button and a source button but I'm having difficulty switching between the two, probably because I haven't yet connected my security system DVR to the monitor and I haven't yet installed and connected my cameras because I'm still researching shielded cables for the security system. I don't want to use the unshielded cables that came with it in the event I encounter electrical interference. I don't want to have to run the cables twice when I can run them once. I haven't decided yet whether to run the cables through the attic to a single location, which will completely hide the cables, or run each camera cable straight down the outside of my home through conduits and then through the basement and crawl space to a single location. I'll probably run each camera cable through the attic because that will eliminate the ability of someone to disable the cables running through conduit down the outside of the home by cutting them.

I assume that my Desktop computer graphics card will be able to handle both DVI and VGA but that's a different story for a different day.

I can't use a remote viewing app on my cell phone because it's a Blackberry Z10 and there are no viable apps available that will allow me to do so. Q-See doesn't make an app for my Blackberry and the one offered for the Blackberry on Amazon seems to leave a lot to be desired.

Hi. Use PSS software on your PC ... Then you can control desktop with icon

As far as cable option use cat5

And the app for your blackberry is called DMSS

Hi. Use PSS software on your PC ... Then you can control desktop with icon

As far as cable option use cat5

And the app for your blackberry is called DMSS

Thanks, tom. I appreciate your assistance. I may be wrong but I believe that Q-See uses PSS software.