Sign in to follow this  
smallpoxman

BNC Cable EMI Damage?

Hello everyone, I had some questions I couldn't find a definite answer for on google, so I figured someone here could answer my question. So I was installing some home security cameras running the 100ft bnc cable from outside through the attic and down in interior wall, through the basement up to the DVR. I have a 4 channel DVR system and previous to this event I had 3 cameras connected, which all of them were working fine. So i was having trouble running the 4th BNC cable through the same hole as the other 2 cams so I used a drop magnet and rigged up a 15' fiberglass push rod to help assist it through the hole. got them through and when I went back up to check the DVR, camera 4(new) had a static image and 2(old) had just a black screen. So I am thinking that by being the GENIUS I am, I damaged these wires? Am I going to have to start running new wires, or is there any way to salvage? (EDIT)Here is the pull Magnet I used if that makes a difference. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YJB5WO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I'm still puzzled as to why camera 2(old) would go out when it was working completely fine previously before this install... I will inspect the 100'+ for any damage, to which I found no rips or tears bends or anything in the existing and new cable. I have a 4 channel LA View DVR and camera system

If you are using the cables that came with the "system", then yes, they are fragile and no, you didn't damage them with a magnet:

283207_1.jpg

Use proper shielded RG59/Siamese cable with crimped ends, like this and you'll have no issues.:

283207_2.jpg

Well honestly, I am not sure what the problem was, tried switching cameras and still nothing so I just ended up changing both of the existing wires, and now the problem has been resolved. And no I was not using the cords that were provided with the unit, I had purchased some at my local hardware store, they were pretty heavy duty, wish I would've know what the heck happened oh well! (EDIT) So here are the cables that I had used, not sure if it was an RG59 :Phttps://www.menards.com/main/electrical/safety-security/accessories/first-alert-100-bnc-cable-double-shielded-with-adapters/electrical/doorbells-alarms-security-systems/safety-security-accessories/first-alert-100-bnc-cable-double-shielded-with-adapters/p-1444430463499.htm