Sign in to follow this  
myounes

Camera Video Backups?

Hello everyone. I am helping a friend build a server to run a dvr software on that will be monitoring about total 30 buses ( each have a dvr in) in the end. Basically we are building the server to be an 8core i7, 32gb ram, etc etc. There will be about 5 cameras on each of his buses with a single dvr in each one. The dvr will route back to the server with the footage and there will be a system for it to wirelessly back up to it which we are still figuring out. Regardless we have been trying to decide what is the best way to store all of this back up footage and where to store it. What would you recommend, a nas or nvr of some sort or what? He will be recording in high quality most likely 1080p so he is going to need a very large size of storage maybe upwards close to 100tb if not more because by law he is required to keep the footage for I think 2 years he said. Anyways what are your recommendations for storage solutions?

How much video will each bus have to transfer per day? I am assuming the video only records while the bus is on, right? I would think FTP might be the easiest way to get everything moved, but I would have to do some experimentation to see how it handles the video for each new day. That sounds like a fun project, but you are going to need a sizable NAS unit! Not to mention that wireless transfer from 30 different nodes is going to take a TON of bandwidth. Have you laid out your wireless network yet?

If I had to do this on the cheap, I would be looking at the QNAP TVS-EC2480U-SAS-RP-16G with an expansion unit (REXP-1620U-RP). On the conservative side, this is going to cost $25,000 with spare hard drives and appropriate software. My biggest concern with a project like that would be getting solid wireless signals in the worst possible conditions (rain, fog, obstructions, etc.) so that the transfer never fails.