Sign in to follow this  
RIPE

Cheap Indoor Security Using Old Laptop

Anyone have any ideas for connecting cameras to an old Gateway model MA6 running Windows 7 Ultimate? It networks good and I can see it with Teamviewer. Was wondering how to connect a couple of cameras to it to watch a condo while I'm gone. Or if that is even a good idea. Thanks for any ideas. Hopefully, some cheap cameras will work.

Anyone have any ideas for connecting cameras to an old Gateway model MA6 running Windows 7 Ultimate? It networks good and I can see it with Teamviewer. Was wondering how to connect a couple of cameras to it to watch a condo while I'm gone. Or if that is even a good idea. Thanks for any ideas. Hopefully, some cheap cameras will work.

Sure, you can buy two cheap cameras off of Amazon, buy two bullet Reolink IP cameras, $79ea. They are POE enabled, but they also come with cord you plug into the wall AC. A $50 POE switch would make them a little more portable, you would only need the cat5/cat6 cable from your router to the cameras.

These reolink come with a cd with a software that lets you view the cameras, set them up to record, scheduled record or motion.

Either way, for under $200 you can connect the cameras to your router and use teamviewer to view your laptop (when you are remote).

What's your definition to " cheap " ? Under $100 or $50 ? Please be careful , not all cheap cameras have good quality , before buying cameras , do some research about cameras or read the reviews carefully .

If the condo is worth monitoring why not get the most reliable system you can afford ? New 4 camera nvrs or DVRs are pretty cheap and you can get remote viewing etc all in one package. I am guessing someone on this forum can get you some links to lower cost equipment.