ccchr

3 Building Surveillance System

Hello Everyone!

I have to install a security system to 3 separate buildings that are about 300 ft. apart. Each building requires about 10 cameras each.

Should I

1. Buy 3 separate NVRs + 10 Cameras each

or

2. Buy 1 NVR, 2-3 switches connected by SFP (between two of the buildings) and 30 cameras

My gut feeling is Option #1, but it would be nice to get some expert advice.

Thanks!

It may depend on how you want to view the cameras is someone going to monitor all of the cameras and do you want a matrix that allows you to view selected cameras from each building or will each building stand alone so to speak do you have a common network between the buildings?

Are the 3 buildings on the same internal network?

If not, it's a bit more straight forward to do 3 NVR's.

If the 3 buildings are on the same internal network, then sure, you can put the NVR anywhere and just attach the cams to the network.

But you can also do an NVR in each building (whether on the same network or not)...but then it means a person would either:

* make use of a system or software to manage the 3 NVR's into a single view

Another question can be network traffic. For example, if they're on a 10/100 network, adding 10 of the 4MP cams can mean a lot of data. In that example, one solution could be:

* 3 NVRs, one per building

* each NVR has POE connectivity straight to the NVR

* run cable from each camera to the NVR

That way the cams themselves aren't adding any network traffic to their internal network. The only time is when a user logs into an NVR to view what's going on.

I've done it both ways depending on the layout and the goals of the customer.

Thanks zr1!

make use of a system or software to manage the 3 NVR's into a single view

Would an out of the box software from a Hikvision or Flir handle 3 NVRs in a single view?

The buildings are not on any internal network so I would have to add that, and another question that I have is: if the distance between the buildings is about 300 ft do I need a Fiber-Optic SFP connection between them or would a simple CAT6 work?

Thank you so much!