notter

Designing a PC-NVR for 12-14 Camera System.

**This is a cross-post from General Discussion Section, I wasn't able to get a reply on that forums and I am hoping this is the correct sub-forum. **

Hello,

I would appreciate your opinion on a network switch I cam considering on using for my first ever IP-Camera set up. I decided to use a PC Based option as it would allow me expand the storage space if my needs ever increased (and allow me to have reasonable budget for the time being). I am considering on using these:

Switch 1:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... l#overview

Switch 2:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-F ... 0000-30000

I will probably run 12/14 cameras with ~3 being at 3mp and ~2 at 2mp and ~8 at 1.3mp. The total PoE budget for the should be enough to power the cameras, and the switch is 802.3af standard compliant.

My questions are:

1. What would be recommended bandwidth for 12/14 cameras?

2. Does the switch make difference in respect to software for PC and ONVIF capabilities of the camera?

3. I HAVE to use ONVIF cameras, correct?

4. Is blue iris the best possible solution for recording software? (I don't mind an upfront payment, however I might consider a subscription service if the benefits provide value).

5. How important is the difference between managed/smart/unmanaged switch for IP-Camera purpose?

6. Are there alternatives that you would use or recommend (short summation on why?)

7. Do the other features (securities.. etc) matter for performance?

Thank you for the feedback.

1. Typical full bandwidth for a 16CH NVR is 100 Mbps, but real bandwidth depends on cameras' resolution and bitrate. If you calculate typical 4 Mbps per camera (full HD), then you get approx. 50 Mbps in total. So, Fast Ethernet 10/100 Mbps switch will do.

2. No, switch has nothing to do with software or Onvif protocol, it just connects cameras. NVR and other network devices together.

But, you should consider a PoE switch which will make your system setup much easier (of course if you have chosen cameras with PoE option).

3. No. This depends on NVR. Some support only one camera producer, other support "third party cameras". But, Onvif is a good solution, it's a standard supported by many producers.

4. There is no "best possible solution" for recording software. I think Blue Iris is a commercial software, but there are also free solutions , like iSpy. I don't even think that the PC NVR is a good idea, i prefer standalone NVRs. Many of 16ch models support two 4 TB HDDs which should be enough for your storage.

5. If you have separate switch for NVR and cameras than there is no need for some smart, managed and so on switches. They must be used in more complicated and sophisticated network configurations.

6. As I mentioned before: PoE switch (simpler wiring, centralized supply), standalone NVR (cheaper, simpler, smaller, more reliable)

7. Add UPS to your system

+1 to the above

Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) works great for that number of cams for an average resolution. Check out some of the "bandwidth calculators" on a Google search. If the network is shared with...say...an office network, then I've either used Gigabit (1000 Mbps) switches for not a lot more...or I've simply run the cables back to the NVR and kept the camera network separate from the office/home network.