Sign in to follow this  
mirak

Some basic questions re setting up IP camera network

I'm currently running a cheap $300 4-cam analog BNC setup. The video quality is ok, the DVR interface is terrible, and no internet viewing.

I'd like to consider stepping up to an HD IP cam setup. I'd just be replacing my BNC cables with Cat5, plus the new cams. I'd run these to a router and NVR.

The trick is that the cam router doesn't have internet connection. I've got an AT&T U-Verse modem/wireless router on the other side of the house near my entertainment center, and I'm not interested in moving that, or the cam router, so they can be physically connected.

If I used a second wireless router for the cam router, will it be difficult to get that connected to the U-Verse router? Would they run as two different networks, or one? Basically, I don't want the cams bogging down my home network (except in the rare instance that I'm using the internet connection to view video). I just need to get an internet connection to the cam router.

Suggestions on simplest approach? Suggestions on hardware I should consider? Thanks!

I have two suggestions:

- if you haven't already changed your wiring to UTP Cat5, then don't ! You better use HD-CVI or HD-TVI equipment (cameras and DVR) instead of IP . These technologies support both coax (BNC) and twisted pair (with baluns) for signal wiring .

- the simplest solution for network connection is using a pair of powerline adapters. They are not expensive. simple to install, no setup. Only limitation is that both adapters must be connected inside the same electric grid, ( same house)

Hmmm. Well that would certainly make the network setup a heck of a lot easier if I'm just running more traditional BNC wiring straight into the back of a DVR.

I bough an ethernet-over-power adapter, so I'm going to try hooking up my current DVR (Zosi) to the internet before I upgrade anything. I'm not sure how well it will work because the Zosi DVR has a really crappy interface and instructions, but worth a shot for the time being.

I suppose the other issue is whether my existing BNC cable is sufficient - I'm reading about it needing to be "solid copper" but I have no idea what I have - it's likely pretty cheap because I got the 4 100' runs included in the kit.

What DVRs do you recommend that are relatively inexpensive but have an easy interface and easy internet connectivity?

And what are the recommended HD-CVI or HD-TVI brands for outdoor bullet cams?

I'm reading Dahua or Hikvision?

Installed a TP-Link Ethernet-over-power adapter and the thing works like a champ! Thanks for the suggestion.

So I went ahead and set my Zosi DVR to view remotely using the 365secu iPhone app. I won't say it works great - it's slow - but it does work.

I'll still likely upgrade at some point to a nicer DVR and cams. What I have is really pretty good for a $300-$400, but it's certainly not HD.