AVCONSULTING

Best VGA LCD Monitor for DVR

A customer is using a 17" Tatung (not sure about model number) and is unhappy with the quality of the picture. I've seen it and the pictures are not sharp and the contrast is iffy, lots of washed out pictures. We hooked up a standard 17" VGA CRT monitor and the pictures were great but the customer insists on LCD. Any input on what LCDs have been used with good success. The DVR has VGA output so we don't necessarily need a monitor with video input also. A 19" could also be used if there is something outstanding.

VGA? is this PC Based or Stand Alone? If they want great quality then they can look at the Ultra High Res LCDs .. quite a few brands make them, but they arent cheap. Still none can match a high res CCTV CRT Monitor.

Even something like this, we use them down here, great image for the price and size:

Syntax Olevia LT32HVM 32" 1366x768 / 1600:1 Contrast Ratio / DVI / PC Input / LCD TV w/Speakers

It is the new Vitek standalone with VGA output. The customer is adamant about using LCD even though we hooked it up to a Dell 17" VGA CRT that was in the office and it looked far better than on the Tatung. They hooked up another computer VGA LCD and it improved it somewhat but still not as good as a CRT. So is there an LCD that would be equivalent or close to a CRT? No need for a composite video.

The one i have is a ViewSonic 19" Wide Screen, but to get the really crisp quality you need a really good video card, and also has to run in native resolution, which on this one is 1440x900 .. small!!!

i was using 1000x768 but as its wide screen my eyes are now hurting since it was always stretched .. basically to get the real good resolution on the high res LCD monitors you will need to run the screen at a really high resolution, everything being smaller.

Another thing, I got a new PC with a really good video card and mobo, and it is even crisper than when connected to the older PC with the 128 card im using .. so yeah the computer (DVR) hardware will make a big diff also.

Even so, all in all, there is still a small diff in quality from my old CRT.

We use those 26 and 32" LCDs alot though, at least you get the size and the prices have dropped like crazy now, check out Tiger.

You should check out these:

http://www.hansol-us.com/products/products.html

Used them for awhile and they give pretty good results for CCTV apps, especially on stand alones. Plus they have BNC, DVI, and VGA inputs. Your still never going to get an image like a CRT, but these are the best I have seen.

Dell just released this: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=2007W5Y&spagenum=&category_id=6198&brandid=56&k=&c=us&l=en&cs=19&mnf=&prst=&prEnd=&mnfsku=&orderby=&searchtype=&pageb4search=&page=productlisting.aspx&instock=&refurbished=

It has composite inputs as well. Here is the review from yahoo: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060428/tc_nf/42935;_ylt=AnXlxl6DV_KTJk65jFDdp5kjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--