Sign in to follow this  
asjlh

advice/help needed understanding "off" mode for CCTV

Hello all, newb question here, apologies in advance and thanks to anyone who can help me.

My situation is a bit unique. I have a (very) small tree farm that I've recently started. I'd like to be able to monitor it remotely, as it's an hour's drive away and it's just not practical to go out there every day. The property basically runs itself, the watering is automatic etc etc.

I want to install a CCTV system at the tree farm just so that I can keep an eye on the trees. But really my needs are very small. I would just like to be able to turn the cameras on and see the trees remotely once a day for a few minutes to make sure no trees got toppled over overnight or something. I'd also like to be able to turn them on during the watering to make sure everything goes okay.

So my question is this: since I need the system for such a small amount of time each day, is it possible to basically have the CCTV system on "off" or "rest" or something the other 99% of the time, when it won't be in use? it just seems like a huge waste of both energy and time for the CCTV system to be running 24 hours a day just so I can look at it on my computer for 5 minutes out of those 24 hours. but from what I understand the system can't really "turn itself on" if it is off.

Am I wrong, or would my only choice be to just leave it running all day long and tune in when I want?

Your assumptions are pretty much dead on, but I'd like to know the extent of the system before I give you an answer. How many cameras are you talking about having, and are they recording to something? I assume there's internet access on site? Where are the cameras running back to, or what are they drawing power from?

There's always a possibility of something being rigged to make it work (safely).

Your assumptions are pretty much dead on, but I'd like to know the extent of the system before I give you an answer. How many cameras are you talking about having, and are they recording to something? I assume there's internet access on site? Where are the cameras running back to, or what are they drawing power from?

Very few cameras. Probably two, maximum. Yes, I'd like for them to record to something, but again, not 24/7. From what I understand you can program the cameras to record on motion, which would be handy. So there will be a DVR of some sorts. Yup, there's internet access, the power source is a house on the property that is fully wired and has all the necessary hookups. So it would run back there. The idea being I would then be able to view the feeds anytime from my iPad or computer or something.

What do you think? for it to work would they essentially have to be "on" round the clock and drawing energy as a result?

Very few cameras. Probably two, maximum. Yes, I'd like for them to record to something, but again, not 24/7. From what I understand you can program the cameras to record on motion, which would be handy. So there will be a DVR of some sorts. Yup, there's internet access, the power source is a house on the property that is fully wired and has all the necessary hookups. So it would run back there. The idea being I would then be able to view the feeds anytime from my iPad or computer or something.

What do you think? for it to work would they essentially have to be "on" round the clock and drawing energy as a result?

The system doesn't draw much power. If power is really an issues, use SSD for the DVR. The harddisk consume bulk of the power in most system.

You can record on motion, however i would recommend that you set it to continuously record at very low quality and switch to higher quality when it detects motion.

Do note that unless you add in outdoor motion sensor, the system will be doing Video Motion. This means that the system will analyse the images, and if enough chances occurs in the detection zone, it will trigger the event. Trees swaying will also be detected as motion. You can set the sensitivity lower, but that means you might miss the thing you want to record. There are better system that are able to minimize these false alert, but with more accuracy it also comes at a much higher price. So it comes down to your budget.

Alternatively, some system allows you to take snapshots at interval. e.g. 1 pic every 5 mins, and email them to you, or store them on a SD Card. So it really depends on what you want.

Netgear have a wireless system and they claimed the cameras can operate with battery wirelessly for months. (Fine Print : for few mins of viewing/recording per day).

If you are able to extend your wireless network to the location where your cameras will be, that might also be a possible solution.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/

"The NETGEAR Arlo Wire-Free camera battery life lasts 4-6 months with normal usage and can be extended for optimal usage by following key settings and tips. They offer the best battery life when set up to record when they detect motion. "

"Normal usage is defined as 4 minutes of viewing or recording per day with the Arlo Wire-Free camera in the Optimized setting. "

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-is-the-battery-life-for-NETGEAR-Arlo-wireless-cameras-and/ta-p/291

I won't recommend it though if you are looking for a actual CCTV system. 4 Mins a day.