Sign in to follow this  
NAN

CCTV encoders

I have a general question, as you know in analog cameras we need encoders to converts the signals to a digital signal in order to connect it to other digital devices through the network such as NVR.

in case we are not using any kind of recording devices and the cameras will be connected through Ethernet network, can we get rid off the encoders ?

I have a general question, as you know in analog cameras we need encoders to converts the signals to a digital signal in order to connect it to other digital devices through the network such as NVR.

in case we are not using any kind of recording devices and the cameras will be connected through Ethernet network, can we get rid off the encoders ?

Your question isn't very clear. What kind of "encoder" are you talking about?

Your question isn't very clear. What kind of "encoder" are you talking about?

encoders that convert the signals of the cameras from analog to digital signals.

from what I can tell you would still need to convert analog to digital to be able to view over the networtk.

Thanks.

is there any differences between the media converter and balun ?

the way I look at a balun is that it allows you to use a pair of wires to emulate a coax but it does not change the signal from analog to digital. you will still need the encoder if you want to use your analog cams

from what I can tell you would still need to convert analog to digital to be able to view over the networtk.

Thanks.

is there any differences between the media converter and balun ?

As what jeromephone said. A balun just converts analog video to go over twisted pair wires such as CAT5, and a media converts is what its name is. It converts media from one type of signal to another.

From what I am gathering you will need to keep your encoder, in order to view your analog cameras via IP.