dewie93

Total newbie - big project = help please?

Hi guys,

I'm embarking on a project to live stream arriving aircraft from the top of a house to a subscription based website.

I work repairing laptop's and PC's for the insurance industry but I have no knowledge of purchasing, setting up or operating any camera systems other than our in-office simple 8-channel CCTV system.

My plan:

2 high quality PTZ cameras that can be controlled remotely with a 20x zoom ability also with the ability to look upwards rather than downwards mounted to the chimney of the property.

These will run down to a reasonable spec PC with a dual channel capture card which will encode both streams to allow it to be uploaded live to the website.

Here come the questions...

What cameras? Since this is essentially the beginning of a business, i'm happy to spend up to about £750 per camera. Is that enough? Upwards viewing, moving, zoom and weatherproofness is a must.

What capture cards? I assume most of these cameras will have BNC connectors rather than something such as HDMI? Am I even going down the right route with PTZ cameras?

Has anyone else set up CCTV for live viewing for a mass audience? or is that a very stupid question.

Is this setup even a possibility or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

I hope you guys can offer some assistance.

Cheers, Jordan

First piece of advice is drop the capture card and just go with IP cameras. Only get a PTZ camera if someone is going to be monitoring the camera and making adjustments to it. Many people think they want a PTZ but someone has to be actively monitoring the camera for PTZ aspects to be used. Also realize a good outdoor PTZ is going to cost you, well over $1000. Also, getting a PTZ may restrict the ways you can mount it. You are wanting to mount sideways and that may not work with a PTZ. It may not be designed to keep out water when mounted on its side. A dome or bullet camera can be mounted any which way.

Hi guys,

I'm embarking on a project to live stream arriving aircraft from the top of a house to a subscription based website.

I work repairing laptop's and PC's for the insurance industry but I have no knowledge of purchasing, setting up or operating any camera systems other than our in-office simple 8-channel CCTV system.

My plan:

2 high quality PTZ cameras that can be controlled remotely with a 20x zoom ability also with the ability to look upwards rather than downwards mounted to the chimney of the property.

These will run down to a reasonable spec PC with a dual channel capture card which will encode both streams to allow it to be uploaded live to the website.

Here come the questions...

What cameras? Since this is essentially the beginning of a business, i'm happy to spend up to about £750 per camera. Is that enough? Upwards viewing, moving, zoom and weatherproofness is a must.

What capture cards? I assume most of these cameras will have BNC connectors rather than something such as HDMI? Am I even going down the right route with PTZ cameras?

Has anyone else set up CCTV for live viewing for a mass audience? or is that a very stupid question.

Is this setup even a possibility or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

I hope you guys can offer some assistance.

Cheers, Jordan

Buy IP PTZ cameras. I am starting to buy Winic IPC-PD63230-W domes. I have not looked into if they sell a outdoor housing, but I sure they do. These cost me about $800 USD and the outdoor housing is probably about an additional $250 USD. So this is close to your price range.

These camera support steaming, but you will need to set up some type of server that will control the stream and put it our on the internet. A quick google search for how to stream and IP camera to a webpage brought me to https://ipcamlive.com/.