Bob La Londe

Geo Vision GV-1000

I have a client who has 5 GV-1000 boxes running on two sites. I am having a little trouble figuring out exactly what he has. I downloaded the detection software and it says he is eligible for 6.x(something) or 7.x(something) with a USB dongle, but it does not actually say what software he is running.

All I want to do is setup webcam server for him.

He has two sites and both sites have more than one machine. As such I need to setup his router to port forward to one machine or the other.

I am going to guess here and please correct me where I screw up.

His ISP is Adelphia Powerlink and he has ordered a static IP address for each site. This should eliminate the need for any funky stuff like dealing with a dynamic dns service.

It looks like webcam server is built into the software. There are three ports to setup. Since Adelphia blcok port 80 and a number of other standard ports to prevent running a regular services server I'll have to configure non standard ports.

ie 8234,8235,8236 & 8237,8238,8239 or something like that for each machine. Then if I understand it correctly I'll have to forward all three ports to the correct machine.

Now I am not sure how the web browser is supposed to connect to this using three ports.

Punch in the base port with the IP address? 99.99.99.999:8234 ? Then what?

Hi Bob,

Yes thats spot on. Enter the Ip with the colon then the port number.

You can only use HTTP ports if you are going to use the browser though. Here is further info on ports accepted by the web browsers:

http://www.grc.com/port_81.htm

Erm...most browsers will work with any port. There are some ports in which browsers expect to get data but that is going to vary by protocol. But many will let you mix and match.

Arghh .. you're right .. what made me think only the specified HTTP ports could be used .. oh well .. yeah 8234 works just tested it .. learn something new everyday huh ... someone needs to email GRC and let them know ..

I know this is going to sound stupid, but remember to change the port numbers on the DVR! There is no point just forwarding them if the DVR is not broadcasting those ports in the first place